Abnormal Navel ***Pics*** Do I/ Can I need to do anything?

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, this is my last chick to hatch last night, it almost didn't make it but we couldn't stand it anymore and it fought so hard for 2 days we helped it out. He is coming around nicely except for this....

47962_dscn0995.jpg

47962_dscn0997.jpg

I have tried to look this up and all I found was unabsorbed yolk, but it doesn't look like that???
I took it out of the incubator late last night b/c it was a little bloody, and put cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding. It's is in a little box on paper towels in the brooder with the others so it can see and hear them, and they him. He has only been hatched for about 18 hours, the others are 2 days old now.
Any advice? Thanks!

Yes, I beleive you are in the right place. I am suprised that no one has answered.

I still have 3 of 10 that hatched with out the help of a brooder. The mama hen did a real good job. It was hawk that had a snack of the other seven. So I just let nature take it's course. Sounds mean, but they are not pets to me, but I do care for them to let them have the best life they can, while I collect eggs.

I had a chick with that that i helped out. He died around three weeks. But it did fall off around two weeks later.
Maybe you should try wetting it and see if it comes off?
The only thing that worries me is i have read in many places if a chicken that has pasty butt doesnt have his butt cleaned he will die. Im worried the same thing will happen here. Thats why I would Just work it and see what happens. Make sure there isnt any living flesh or organs or anything
hu.gif

Goodluck
Mark

Don't mess with it. It should dry up and fall off on it's own. IMO just make sure it isn't building up with poo and that the others aren't pecking at it. Good luck.

I had a chick like that. I separated it and it dried up and fell off/closed up. Then I put her back with the others when it was all better. She's fine today.

Just thought I would post an update on this chick.
It died, lived about one week. It did not grow at all. No infection or anything, it was eating and drinking and pooping (though not much) then yesterday am it just started acting a bit lethargic and in a few hours it was gone. I think this problem is a sign of something congenital/ or a deformity caused by the messed up incubator temps? I had 3 like this, two died in the shell, this one nearly did, but we intervened. Apparently there was a good reason. I just wish I knew what it was....

Back
Top Bottom