?? About antibiotic eye ointment

Nyxchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Silkie hen was fine on Sunday.
Monday noticed one eye slightly swollen.
Tuesday eye looked worse so went to farm store and got some antibiotic ointment, applying twice daily.

My question is this. If i have selected the proper treatment, How long do you think before I see results/improvement?

I'm new at this, had chickens for one year and this is the first issue had to deal with. Love the little stinker and worry about her.

She doesn't act sick. She eating, drinking, seems fine other than the one eye.

Thank you for any replies or advice.

One of my hens had a sore eye. It looked like conjunctivitis so I bought some antibiotic eye ointment from the chemist and washed the eye twice a day with saline and applied the ointment. Within a week I could see a definite improvement but continued the treatment for 2 weeks. Good luck with your hen!!

Silkie hen was fine on Sunday.
Monday noticed one eye slightly swollen.
Tuesday eye looked worse so went to farm store and got some antibiotic ointment, applying twice daily.

My question is this. If i have selected the proper treatment, How long do you think before I see results/improvement?

I'm new at this, had chickens for one year and this is the first issue had to deal with. Love the little stinker and worry about her.

She doesn't act sick. She eating, drinking, seems fine other than the one eye.

Thank you for any replies or advice.

You should see improvement with 5-7 days. Wash eye with warm water, pat dry, apply ointment 2x day - you're doing fabulous!
smile.png

This morning it looked worse so I took her to an avian vet. Can't believe how much money I just spent on this chicken!
I need to learn more so I know how to treat this sort of thing early.

Are there any recommended books???

Gad, if I was breeding chickens to feed myself I would starve. Apparently what I have is a beloved little pet that happens to lay tasty eggs.

This morning it looked worse so I took her to an avian vet. Can't believe how much money I just spent on this chicken!
I need to learn more so I know how to treat this sort of thing early.

Are there any recommended books???

Gad, if I was breeding chickens to feed myself I would starve. Apparently what I have is a beloved little pet that happens to lay tasty eggs.
Chicken health handbook by Gail Damerow - worth it's weight in gold. Covers predators, disease, some treatments etc. Also there are many useful hints/tips here on the learning center. I did the same when I first started, so I guess we both care deeply about our critters - whether they are 'pets' or not,
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom