? about breeding partridge rocks

Rusty Hills Farm

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Up at the barn
Since I'm starting over since the loss of my RIR flock, I thought I should maybe start completely fresh and go in a whole new direction. Otherwise I might spend all my energy comparing any new RIRs with what I used to have and that seems very sad to me. So instead I am toying with the idea of expanding into partridge rocks (I do still have one coop of buff rocks).

I know that the partridge rocks are not terribly good layers and tend to go broody. My buff rocks lay 3 days out of 4 and their eggs are large/extra large. What if I put a buff rock roo over a few partridge hens and kept the best roo from that breeding, then put that roo over partridge hens? Might his daughters have more and larger eggs without messing up their color too much?

My buffs have beautiful sweet temperaments and are very hardy. What is the partridge temperament like? Are they as hardy?

Thanks for any input or experiences you can share.

big_smile.png

I have been looking for some Partridge Rocks for a while without much luck. Either none in that color or not selling eggs until spring. I know Ideal has them, but can't imagine they are great. If you find any or anyone has any I would love to know about them also.

I got my best lot of production partridge rocks from Welp. I'd try Ideal. I am going to see what Sandhill has next year. And I'm digging up show rocks slowly.

End of next year I should have a pretty good start.

I wouldn't use McMurry.

I might see what Mypetchicken has as well.

If you start with production birds you'll be working uphill but I like the batch I got from Welp. Many of the show flocks have fertility problems and they had a rough year last year.

And I love a challenge. So I raise and I learn.

Back
Top Bottom