About to move my duckies outside...

I don't have any of these deterrents but have read about them on the chicken forum. The consensus is that these things might work temporarily, but not long term as the animals will become use to them and it will not bother them after awhile. I think the best thing is to have a secure house, then the best run you can manage. I use electric wire around the bottom half of my run - if I were going to recommend any deterrent, that would be it.

I was actually going to add an electrric wire to my fenced in area around the bottom and top (in case something were to climb to try to get in through the wire roof). What type do you recommend? Is it weather proof? I wouldn’t want to put up something that would kill a small bird or a squirrel, is it that intense? Just anything to keep the bad guys out.

@ColleenRyan Your "fenced in area" would be considered a run. :)

Oh ok! I’m going to reinforce the
Whole thing and add an apron area. Have you done an apron before and if so how did you do yours? I was told to let it come out of the ground about a foot and a half and have shot a foot an a half of it buried in an outward direction underground. I feel like there should be more buried underground To keep them from digging in, though.

It could be called a pen. It is basically an area where the birds can "run" around when they are not let out into the yard. It usually has their coop or house in it. It's a safe area or should be as predator proof as possible.

I’m drfinitely keeping my babies in the run 24/7 unless I’m outside with them. And hopefully I’ll be able to spend at least an hour outside with them a day so they can walk around the yard more.
My fenced area is large thankfully so they’ll have plenty of room for exercise

I was actually going to add an electrric wire to my fenced in area around the bottom and top (in case something were to climb to try to get in through the wire roof). What type do you recommend? Is it weather proof? I wouldn’t want to put up something that would kill a small bird or a squirrel, is it that intense? Just anything to keep the bad guys out.
I got mine at tsc. It pulses so actually I don't think a bird or squirrel would be bothered by it. My dogs yelped when they got zapped. But, they were standing there longer than I thought it would take.
It should work in all weather if set up properly - it needs grounded. It recommends turning it off with lightning, but I have only turned it off twice for weather this spring and summer and always turn it back on before they are cooped up for the night.
It definitely should deter anything that was nosing around to dig or climb.

Oh ok! I’m going to reinforce the
Whole thing and add an apron area. Have you done an apron before and if so how did you do yours? I was told to let it come out of the ground about a foot and a half and have shot a foot an a half of it buried in an outward direction underground. I feel like there should be more buried underground To keep them from digging in, though.
I have added an apron to my previous set up. Mine went up the sides about a foot and out onto the ground about a foot. I did not bury it. Some do, some don't. Currently I don't have one. :oops: There are a lot of different reasons why, but I plan on adding one before fall.

Last edited:
Hey I live in rural PA In woods woods and absolutely nothing got into our ducky house. I had three night guards around each side and in the front a solar sensor light that went off twice before and we saw a bear actually. Just make sure there no holes anywhere I was a nut about it because weasels can get in small spaces. We had a run chicken wire and I used long staples to go around every inch. The top was open but for the first few months I had netting to prevent owls or hawks swooping. The pen was a wood box and chicken wire and I was mindful of the lock too because raccoons can open certain locks. Good luck I know you will build them a safe house. Like what happen to the both of us we work hard on house and kept them safe -it was the free ranging that took our babies away. I’m going to do the same thing they’ll only be out if I’m outside with them otherwise they’ll be in run. I just got eggs today second round so I’m hoping this batch hatches I’ll be on here constantly the next month re reading your other forum lol

Hey I live in rural PA In woods woods and absolutely nothing got into our ducky house. I had three night guards around each side and in the front a solar sensor light that went off twice before and we saw a bear actually. Just make sure there no holes anywhere I was a nut about it because weasels can get in small spaces. We had a run chicken wire and I used long staples to go around every inch. The top was open but for the first few months I had netting to prevent owls or hawks swooping. The pen was a wood box and chicken wire and I was mindful of the lock too because raccoons can open certain locks. Good luck I know you will build them a safe house. Like what happen to the both of us we work hard on house and kept them safe -it was the free ranging that took our babies away. I’m going to do the same thing they’ll only be out if I’m outside with them otherwise they’ll be in run. I just got eggs today second round so I’m hoping this batch hatches I’ll be on here constantly the next month re reading your other forum lol

Awesome thanks so much for the info! Are the night guards the “predator eyes” and could you possibly send me a link or the name of the solar sensor you got? I’m definitely reinforcing the fencing all over. The fencing for their run is chain link and some areas need to be fixed anyway. I’m considering getting an electric wire to go around the top or bottom so it can give a shock to anything that tries to go in but I wanna make sure it wouldn’t kill something harmless like a squirrel or a little bird that happened to land on it. I’m even going as far as contemplating pouring cement and making a solid base for them so everything will be raised and nothing can dig into it (even though I’d probably add aproning anyway around the edges :p) I wasn’t sure if anyone else has made their run and hutch area on a solid cement line ground.. id out hay or tiles over it for their feet

I don't think cement is the best option for ducks feet and legs.

Birds would have to be touching the ground and the electric wire at the same time. I think most of the electric wire pulses. So, unless you got a wire strong enough for a bear, the squirrels should be ok.
However think of the alternative, if you need an electric wire but don't put one up due to the chance of killing a small animal and then something gets to your ducks, you are going to be pretty sad.

Awesome thanks so much for the info! Are the night guards the “predator eyes” and could you possibly send me a link or the name of the solar sensor you got? I’m definitely reinforcing the fencing all over. The fencing for their run is chain link and some areas need to be fixed anyway. I’m considering getting an electric wire to go around the top or bottom so it can give a shock to anything that tries to go in but I wanna make sure it wouldn’t kill something harmless like a squirrel or a little bird that happened to land on it. I’m even going as far as contemplating pouring cement and making a solid base for them so everything will be raised and nothing can dig into it (even though I’d probably add aproning anyway around the edges :p) I wasn’t sure if anyone else has made their run and hutch area on a solid cement line ground.. id out hay or tiles over it for their feet
I don’t think cement is a good idea but I wish it was because I would do the same. We plan on starting our permenant turkey /duck house in a month so I’m still researching. I attached picture of all the lighting I bought I tried four different kinds just to test- bought in early 2016 and they all still work they withstanded pretty crappy weather conditions all year long. I loved the sensor light as I didn’t except animals to be afraid of it but it faced into our house so we could pop up and look out. The staples I put almost next to each other in their run on just chicken wire and nothing ever got in. We had foxes next door and coyotes on trail cams so they were around. That box of wood and chicken wire had no holes and each side had a dif light attached. It sounds like you are going to build a great house I wouldn’t over worry. Once we build ours that’s not something I’m worried about I don’t know about it but I’m worried in a year after having nothing happen Day after day going inside for something thinking they’ll be fine and something happening - I really think the biggest thing to worry about is becoming lapse. I remember each like week leaving them out later and later and leaving longer and longer. At first just an hour then two and so on. Them predators are watching and waiting for that moment - I literally went in so quick and just like that with my door open and dogs there she was killed. As long as there’s no holes and locked up every night your house I’m sure will keep them safe.

Attachments

• 0677CD97-82E8-4538-BD4E-A42B77C6EBC7.png
    0677CD97-82E8-4538-BD4E-A42B77C6EBC7.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 6
  • E505F18A-B1B8-458F-B2B0-F59FDE3DECE3.png
    E505F18A-B1B8-458F-B2B0-F59FDE3DECE3.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom