About to put day 34 Muscovy egg in lockdown and there is ANOTHER bruise! I just lost a duckling this morning and now this AGAIN! 💔

I candled him and I don’t see any visible veins. I was able to get a look inside the egg with my flashlight and it just looks dry.
There is some extra room because he is into the air sac a bit.
I wish I could see his navel and yolk sac, as that is what scares me the most.

So, do you think I should begin assisting or continue to wait longer? 🤔🥺
I’m an absolute nervous MESS!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 4
Ok,,, do I just start peeling away little chips of the shell?
And do what you said if it starts to bleed?
If theres no chewing/yawning, and no visible veins
then yes, just a tiny bit at a time, begin to hatch him.
If you're still feeling a little unsure, have a quick skim read through the Assisted hatching article before beginning. But at this point, he should be ready.
If there's any bleeding, take a deep breath, stay calm, hold a dry paper towel to the bleed until its stopped. Then put him back in the incubator and wait longer.
Keep us updated

If you're still feeling a little unsure, have a quick skim read through the Assisted hatching article before beginning. But at this point, he should be ready.
If there's any bleeding, take a deep breath, stay calm, hold a dry paper towel to the bleed until its stopped. Then put him back in the incubator and wait longer.
Keep us updated
I second this

Keep us updated
Well, he or she is here! No bleeding, everything went well.
I’m a little nervous because she’s very lazy. The others were peppy right away after about 5 minutes.
This one seems very tired. I gave her a few drops of sugar water to try to give her energy but it didn’t do much.
I stimulated her to get her blood flowing and now she’s sleeping in the incubator.

Of course I’m “worried” as usual!! 😕

Attachments

• 22E799ED-523A-4423-B107-4B0D6AADC188.jpeg
    22E799ED-523A-4423-B107-4B0D6AADC188.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 8265CC01-B501-4EA1-B885-3E80AFD2DAAC.jpeg
    8265CC01-B501-4EA1-B885-3E80AFD2DAAC.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 4
It’s been over 60 hours now
I think it’s safe to start
Just go slow
Ok, she’s here. No bleeding, absorbed yolk sac, no issues with the hatch.
But now I’m concerned because she’s nowhere near as peppy as the other 3 were.
I stimulated her by rubbing her gently with a soft towel while talking to her, and gave her a few drops of sugar water, but she’s still just laying down.
Is this normal? I don’t know because my others were active right from the start.. 😕

Attachments

• 5AF3C6B6-8827-4526-91E7-A0A82AE46097.jpeg
    5AF3C6B6-8827-4526-91E7-A0A82AE46097.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 753063D0-ACAA-46F9-AB98-420746F0251C.jpeg
    753063D0-ACAA-46F9-AB98-420746F0251C.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 3
Well, he or she is here! No bleeding, everything went well.
I’m a little nervous because she’s very lazy. The others were peppy right away after about 5 minutes.
This one seems very tired. I gave her a few drops of sugar water to try to give her energy but it didn’t do much.
I stimulated her to get her blood flowing and now she’s sleeping in the incubator.

Of course I’m “worried” as usual!! 😕
Good news!
Give her time
It isn't the norm for them to be super active after hatch. They may walk and stumble, then fall on their faces and sleep! That's more the norm. It'll take her a while to find her footing
She doesn't need to be stimulated(?), just needs to sleep and rest in the incubator.
Sugar water won't hurt, but don't expect her to drink much right now

Good news!
Give her time
It isn't the norm for them to be super active after hatch. They may walk and stumble, then fall on their faces and sleep! That's more the norm. It'll take her a while to find her footing
She doesn't need to be stimulated(?), just needs to sleep and rest in the incubator.
Sugar water won't hurt, but don't expect her to drink much right now
Thank you so much for all your help and support! 🥰
I feel better knowing it’s normal because my other 3 were quite active very soon after hatching. 😊😊😊

Back
Top Bottom