About to put day 34 Muscovy egg in lockdown and there is ANOTHER bruise! I just lost a duckling this morning and now this AGAIN! 💔

Yes,
She never went broody, no matter how hard we tried she just scattered her eggs and laid them everywhere!
We would put them in her brooder box and she’d kick them out!
She’s only 9 months and this was her first time laying.
She started on January 23rd and just stopped a week ago! Ugh!
Why do you feel the need to incubate all the eggs? I'm just trying to understand.
There's no baby in an egg that has been laid, the baby starts to grow after incubation begins. You don't need to incubate them, you'll just end up with hundreds of babies

I’m so scared! What if the yolk sac isn’t completely absorbed??? 😢
My heart is pounding!
Please let me know when to make the hole bigger.
I’m going to follow directions to the tee.
It's okay you don't need to. You said it was three days ago but it isn't, it's not quite two days ago. Baby needs more time, so leave them be for now

@AmyA248
Please don’t rush this baby out
He will need help yes but not yet
It hasn’t been 72 hours it’s been less then 48
You can’t count a day as a whole 24 hours
Wednesday at 1:30 pm my time was your post about the bruise. It’s only Friday at 7:40 am here now that’s only 42 hours
The hole he has now is all he needs until ready to hatch
You don’t need to pick more shell
Take a flashlight on the side of the egg around 50 hour mark you should be able to see veins through the shell
So 8 more hours
If you see any veins wait another 3-4 hours ti look again
Keep doing this until the egg looks clear of all veins then start the assist

@AmyA248
Please don’t rush this baby out
He will need help yes but not yet
It hasn’t been 72 hours it’s been less then 48
You can’t count a day as a whole 24 hours
Wednesday at 1:30 pm my time was your post about the bruise. It’s only Friday at 7:40 am here now that’s only 42 hours
The hole he has now is all he needs until ready to hatch
You don’t need to pick more shell
Take a flashlight on the side of the egg around 50 hour mark you should be able to see veins through the shell
So 8 more hours
If you see any veins wait another 3-4 hours ti look again
Keep doing this until the egg looks clear of all veins then start the assist
Oh, ok!
I understand now. I am so nervous that I get confused.
You mentioned to check for veins, is it ok to take him out of lockdown to do that?
I’m terrified of shrink wrapping.

Thank you so very much!!! ❤️

Oh, ok!
I understand now. I am so nervous that I get confused.
You mentioned to check for veins, is it ok to take him out of lockdown to do that?
I’m terrified of shrink wrapping.

Thank you so very much!!! ❤️
I did just fine for mine
But I did warm up the room
If you have a bathroom to put the bator in and run the shower on hot yo heat the room and build humidity that will prevent shrink wrap

I did just fine for mine
But I did warm up the room
If you have a bathroom to put the bator in and run the shower on hot yo heat the room and build humidity that will prevent shrink wrap
Ok, I just did that. I did not see any veins and I think his little behind is halfway into the air sac. Lots of movement in the air sac and lots of peeping.
I can see enough through the safety hole enough that I can watch his beak.
As of today I don’t see anymore “chewing and yawning” but he doesn’t seem to have any interest in attempting to try to hatch. 😩
Not once did any of them hatch completely on their own. It’s very upsetting and stressful because I still have 10 eggs left. The last 4 are from March 21st. And 2 were not fertile. The other 4 are developing nicely. The other 6 are due between April 7th - April 11th.
Unfortunately I forgot to date them because we had so much going on, but I can pretty much tell by looking at the eggs. (Which I learned from this awesome group!) 🥰
I’m sure that you can understand how nervous I am right now after losing my last one, that I just can’t stop blaming myself for it dying! I know I keep repeating myself but I’m 98% sure I could have saved my poor baby.. The scratch was small but I should have allowed her to finish hatching and worked on stopping the bleeding.

So that being said, I’m extremely nervous about having to assist with this one. I’ve never had a malpositioned duckling before and I have no way of knowing if it’s yolk sac is absorbed. :he

I’ll absolutely keep sending updates.
And thank you so much as usual! 🙏💕🥰

Ok, I just did that. I did not see any veins and I think his little behind is halfway into the air sac. Lots of movement in the air sac and lots of peeping.
As of today I don’t see anymore “chewing and yawning” but he doesn’t seem to have any interest in attempting to try to hatch. 😩
Not once did any of them hatch completely on their own. It’s very upsetting and stressful because I still have 10 eggs left. The last 4 are from March 21st. And 2 were not fertile. The other 4 are developing nicely. The other 6 are due between April 7th - April 11th.
Unfortunately I forgot to date them because we had so much going on, but I can pretty much tell by looking at the eggs. (Which I learned from this awesome group!) 🥰
I’m sure that you can understand how nervous I am right now after losing my last one, that I just can’t stop blaming myself for it dying! I know I keep repeating myself but I’m 98% sure I could have saved my poor baby.. The scratch was small but I should have allowed her to finish hatching and worked on stopping the bleeding.

So that being said, I’m extremely nervous about having to assist with this one. I’ve never had a malpositioned duckling before and I have no way of knowing if it’s yolk sac is absorbed. :he

You haven't commented on the other information yet I think, is your plan to keep incubating/hatching eggs, or will it just be these upcoming babies, and no more?

Don’t candle the air cell it won’t really show veins
You want to candle above the air cell as that’s where all the veins are
I’ll run and candle one if my eggs that’s bruised wrong end and show you
It’s 28 hours into the first safety hole
I have not opened him up more cause there is no need
He can get air and the smaller the hole the less chance of drying out
I don’t have to attend to him at all cause he doesn’t have a big hole or membrane showing

here are some pics
The hole is how it will stay till I don’t see anymore veins
He made the darkness around the bruise as when they hit the wrong end they usually hit a bigger vein
But they often chew and get it under control
If we hit them we don’t get as lucky
That’s why wrong end babies are the most risky to assist
I won’t be enlarging his hole until I see zero veins and that could be anywhere between 48-72 hours from the first hole I made.
Hope this makes sense

Attachments

• BA15888E-E141-455D-BC8F-E8E8CCC6F436.png
    BA15888E-E141-455D-BC8F-E8E8CCC6F436.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 3C763BB0-EECB-4C5F-AE21-C3157A05E18A.png
    3C763BB0-EECB-4C5F-AE21-C3157A05E18A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • FF7BB922-398B-47FB-85B8-B53DAC2633B5.png
    FF7BB922-398B-47FB-85B8-B53DAC2633B5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Back