About to put day 34 Muscovy egg in lockdown and there is ANOTHER bruise! I just lost a duckling this morning and now this AGAIN! 💔

Pics
Ok, she’s here. No bleeding, absorbed yolk sac, no issues with the hatch.
But now I’m concerned because she’s nowhere near as peppy as the other 3 were.
I stimulated her by rubbing her gently with a soft towel while talking to her, and gave her a few drops of sugar water, but she’s still just laying down.
Is this normal? I don’t know because my others were active right from the start.. 😕
Just let her rest
I just hatched one this morning who looked a little more weak
I didn’t bother her no water
Just let her sleep after a long hatch
Mine is now in the brooder 6 hours later just as lively as the other 2 born today
I don’t bug assisted babies the first day as some take longer to recover
If ever one seemed off still after a day I would start worrying
I have never had that happen so far ( knock on wood )
Great job on waiting this time
Being patient and allowing them to finish is key to saving them

Just let her rest
I just hatched one this morning who looked a little more weak
I didn’t bother her no water
Just let her sleep after a long hatch
Mine is now in the brooder 6 hours later just as lively as the other 2 born today
I don’t bug assisted babies the first day as some take longer to recover
If ever one seemed off still after a day I would start worrying
I have never had that happen so far ( knock on wood )
Great job on waiting this time
Being patient and allowing them to finish is key to saving them
How wonderful, you have new babies too! ❤️
She’s a good size and is eating very water food mix and drinking. She’s very aware and will cry if not being snuggled.
She stayed in the incubator for 7 hours until I noticed her feet. One looks fine, the other is curled up. If I spread them out and put her on her feet they will stay, but when she tries to walk they slide out and she sits down.
She manages to get around by scooting but hasn’t stood up straight yet or bore weight on her legs m.
I’m sure if she was in the wild her mother would have abandoned her. 😢

Can one day go by without something going wrong? Of course we’re worried sick!!
I read a thread that babies born like this die in a few days, it was from 2018 and it gave me a panic attack!!
Why would this kill her?
What should I do?
I know I can make a little shoe to help straighten her foot, but I’m very concerned.
I’ll send pictures in the morning because my daughter insisted upon having her brooder in her room by her bed because her little nails get caught on her blanket and she cries. My daughter insists she needs to be right there in case she gets stuck. ❤️
I don’t know how much more my heart can take my friend… 💔😢

She’s a good size and is eating very water food mix and drinking. She’s very aware and will cry if not being snuggled.
She stayed in the incubator for 7 hours until I noticed her feet. One looks fine, the other is curled up. If I spread them out and put her on her feet they will stay, but when she tries to walk they slide out and she sits down.
She manages to get around by scooting but hasn’t stood up straight yet or bore weight on her legs m.

I read a thread that babies born like this die in a few days, it was from 2018 and it gave me a panic attack!!
Why would this kill her?
What should I do?
I know I can make a little shoe to help straighten her foot, but I’m very concerned.
I’ll send pictures in the morning because my daughter insisted upon having her brooder in her room by her bed because her little nails get caught on her blanket and she cries. My daughter insists she needs to be right there in case she gets stuck. ❤️
Sometimes when stuck in an egg the foot curls and takes 24 hours to straighten out
I never worry for the first day
Of after 24 it’s still not straight then making a shoe would be a good idea
Many members on here can help with that

I had 10 eggs
And got 9 babies
I made a mistake this hatch to
Even those of us that are very experienced make mistakes
One I lost as it really looked like baby breached the air cell but I also saw a bruise right at the edge of it
I didn’t make the safety hole cause I really thought baby was in air cell
Lesson learned no matter what make a safety hole in bruise
My baby was almost fully absorbed before it died running out of air
I do have 9 other healthy babies though
They go to their new home tomorrow afternoon
I don’t incubate eggs unless I have buyers
If I didn’t I would have way to many ducks :)

Why would this kill her?
What should I do?
I don't know what information you read that said they'd die, but I'm fairly sure you read it out of context, or from a non reputable source
Outdated posts I do consider non reputable

Even healthy babies have a risk they will fail to thrive, but taking 24 hours to find their feet is not uncommon and not a death sentence
Like new duck mommy said, sometimes their feet stay curled up once out of the egg and it takes them time to straighten them. I wouldnt panic over any feet abnormalities until 24 hours after hatch, after she's had time to straighten out and find her balance.
My duckling hatched with both feet curled like hooks, and it took over an hour for her toes to go to normal.

Back
Top Bottom