Absolutely Brokenhearted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *UPDATE!*

okiemommy

Mother of 5, Prisoner to None
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Okla-Homa
I lost my first four babies to the neighbors dogs today.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
They were our pets. I had one for each of the kids. Yes I know they are livestock, but these 4 were specifically bought not only to lay eggs but also as pets, and we treated them as such. They were not skittish around us at all. They were out in the chicken tractor and the neighbors apparently don't keep their dogs penned up. I did not know this; it was my understanding that they had them fenced in; they do have fencing but when my husband went over there after everything happened he found that they only fence the horses and the donkey in; nothing to fence the dogs in. We had always heard them and not seen them in our yard so we thought they were fenced. And the neighbors weren't home. So seemingly they let their dogs out while they are gone, but don't have anything to fence them in but 3 strands of barbed wire. My husband went outside to bring them in for the night, and the chickens weren't in the tractor. Then he saw the dogs. He walked the perimeter of the backyard part of our property, and found the one that was in my lap happily sleeping today, dead by the firepit. Then he went over to the neighbors yard, and found some Buff feathers. That's all he found of the rest of them.

I don't even know what to do about this. I am so beside myself. We hadn't talked to the neighbors yet, to tell them we had chickens. We did plan to, so as to try and prevent something like this. IOW give them a heads up. We don't have fencing on our property, b/c we just moved here a couple of months ago, and only part of the property is fenced. We were going to look for some this weekend These four were our first chickens. I know that things like this happen, but it is awful b/c they were our first, and b/c they were so personable. I am sick to my stomach over this. What do I do about this? I realize that I don't have fencing yet, but I feel that they should have kept their dogs in their own yard. They clawed into the chicken tractor and dragged them out! My husband wanted to shoot the dogs right away, and would've if they had come back. But I just don't want to do anything to cause a rift between people that we have to live next to, and so far they seem friendly. I'm not against shooting the dogs if they come back and do the same thing again, after they have been warned, but I want to go over there and tell them to keep their dogs in their yard or we will have to take measures to protect our animals. When we get goats, ducks and turkeys will they do this to the them too? Please no criticism or negativity, I feel bad enough as it is.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry.
sad.png
I know that has to be terrible. I would first talk to the neighbors. Second stop would be calling animal control. They should take care of it for you and tell you what direction you should go in. I live out in a rural community, but there are still leash laws. Find out what your laws are and go from there if they aren't willing to keep their dogs up. Again, I am so sorry.

I am so sorry. I know the heart ache. I would maybe call the neighbor. It worked out better for me for the man not to be at home when I went to his door because I was so upset. I was able to talk to him more calmly and he did offer to pay for them.

jackie

I am so sorry for your lose. I have had many sad dog attcks. when every thing seems to calm down there is another. after the first 2 dog attacks I gave all my neibors heads up
" If your dog shows up in our yard it will be shot, That is your only warning". I have personal had to shot a couple myself. I lost my first flock about 4 years ago. 2 dogs wiped out 24 chickens in 2 hours. So far this year I have lost 12 birds. I am know converting all my chickens in to (reinforced) pens. I love free range birds, but I am so sick of this.

I know alot of people are going to say something about the dog shooting, but thats what the dog catcher told us to do. They don't want to travel 30 minutes to warn somebody, just dispose of them ourselves. After the warning some of my neibors have pen their dogs.

I hope this helps. I tend to talk alot. and I do love dogs, but there are so many and I have lost over 50 birds in all sice I started 5 years ago. And once they have the taste of chicken in their mouths they will be back, there is nothing you can do.

I am so sorry you have had to experience this! We get so attached to our chicks. I think I would talk to the neighbors and tell them what happened and that you plan on getting others animals and see what they say. I know what you mean by wanting to get along with neighbors. I do not like to fuss with anyone. I would try to get a good fence though with an apron so you won't have to worry about anything digging under. Other dogs could come around even if this neighbor pens his up or they could accidentally get out. Do you have any animal laws in your town? We live in a small town and do not have any at all. They will tell you here to shoot the dogs if they return after you have talked to the owners, but this will certainly cause a riff in the neighborhood!
Keep us posted on what happens........
hit.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a very tough situation, and since none of us know what the laws are regarding dogs and if they are required to be confined, its best you make sure that you are forewarned, and thus forearmed. Call the country animal control and find out exactly what the laws are regarding the incident, and then, very calmly and collectedly, go talk to your neighbor. Please, for your sanitys sake, be the bigger person, and approach them politely, but firmly, and in a non-threatning manner, and let them know how distraught you are over the loss of your animals. Give them the chance to be good people, if they are, they will do the right thing, apologize and offer to make it right. If they are not good people, they will be rude, abrasive and then you can sick animal contol on them and put them on notice that the dogs are subject to being terminated on sight. But, try to be a good neighbor first and foremost, because I can tell you, living next to a bad neighbor is a special kind of hell.
I would suggest an nice line of electric fence between your place and theirs will at least slow down the monsters.

Quote:
This is an important point. Whether or not these particular neighbors start keeping their dogs up, there will always be other dogs. As yellowdragon has unfortunately discovered, as long as you don't have a fence the dogs will just keep coming.

You shouldn't have to put up a fence to keep somebody else's animals out of your yard. But this isn't really about what you "should" or "should not" have to do. This is about keeping your birds safe.

I'm very sorry for your loss!

Thanks everyone

Kayla that is awful! I don't think I could keep doing it after so many losses. This was discouraging enough. If I didn't already have some mixed bantams and a barred rock pair in the brooder, I might have just given up for a while, unless the kids asked for more chickens.

Antiquebuff thanks for understanding that part of it. It is so important to me. And I besides not wanting to cause problems between neighbors, the last thing I want to do too is to shoot someone else's pet. Now that you mention it, we are still considered city limits so there may still be leash laws as well. We are definitely getting fencing. Though I can't afford to get perimeter fencing that has an apron. I had hoped to free- range them, but like Kayla said, I just don't want to lose anymore.

The ones I lost were a BO pair and a RIR pair
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

My Buff Roo was so sweet!!! He just crowed for the first time the other day. It was the most beautiful sound
tongue.png
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Call the country animal control and find out exactly what the laws are regarding the incident, and then, very calmly and collectedly, go talk to your neighbor. Please, for your sanitys sake, be the bigger person, and approach them politely, but firmly, and in a non-threatning manner, and let them know how distraught you are over the loss of your animals. Give them the chance to be good people, if they are, they will do the right thing, apologize and offer to make it right. If they are not good people, they will be rude, abrasive and then you can sick animal contol on them and put them on notice that the dogs are subject to being terminated on sight.

I completely agree calamityjen. I will go into it without judgment, or expectation and go from there. I am so glad that they weren't home. My husband was so angry. They had started to grow on him lol

You shouldn't have to put up a fence to keep somebody else's animals out of your yard. But this isn't really about what you "should" or "should not" have to do. This is about keeping your birds safe.

I completely agree. I know that I also have to take measures to keep them safe, and those measures will be taken. I just wish we could have gotten the fencing up sooner
hit.gif

So sorry for your loss! I know how you feel. I lost 2 Ameracauna chicks to my own dog a couple weeks ago
sad.png
We reinforced their cage and bought more chicks and the paintball gun has stopped the dogs from even looking at the chicks (even the neighbor dog
tongue.png
)

Back
Top Bottom