Absolutely furious - neighbor's dogs killed my birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is how I would figure the cost of your bird; take the cost of the bird, and add the cost of feed it would take to raise the bird from chick to maturity (you didn't loose a chick, you lost a mature egg layer).

After reading the neighbors reply, I would give her a time frame to make restitution. Then if she didn't pay up, I would take her to small claims court. If your city or county ordinance has something about keeping pets on a leash, or restraining pets, you can use that as a defense. She'll think twice about letting her dogs looose again. As for me, I would have buried the dog where I shot it. The Animal Control officer may have noticed a fresh looking patch of loose soil (where the dog was buried), but I would explain it as where the Mrs. wanted a new rose bush, flower garden or compost pile.

I hope your birds make a good recovery. I've considered getting a "low voltage" fence around my porch where I raise quail. I've lost one to a cat, but a $34 cage from the co-op helps my feline relocation program. When I see signs posted on telephone poles looking for "Fluffy", I just smile.

Before you waste big bucks on a flock shocker, having used them I highly recommend a $20+ " FI-SHOK"
horse charger. They work well on a variety of critters,the feathers deflect most chargers so from experience
you can be assured it will not do any damage to our friends. In fact if predators are not an issue, after 2 wks
shut it off till you get new ones. They will require a zap or two then they avoid the wire. RR

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, lost my EE hen. That makes 4 dead.
sad.png
I will probably lose two more of my Australorps. All they want to do it hide in the corner and not move. Not that I can blame them but if they've already made up their mind to die, there's nothing I can do about it. I told my neighbor that I would let her know how many more die here in the next day or two. I found some blue orpington pullets here locally for $25 each so I think that's a fair price for me to ask for the birds that I have lost. Especially where mine were laying. To James the Bald, had I actually killed the dog and not just wounded it and had my gun not jammed I would have left it there for the animal control officer to take back to its house. I'm lucky that where I live I am well within my rights to shoot their dog and there is not much they can about it other than keep their dogs off my property. Especially if it is harassing, or in my case, killing livestock.

Idaho Code 25-2806 - Liability For Livestock And Poultry Killed By Dogs, covers you as far as protection from liability and suit for shooting the dogs. It also mandates restitution for lost poultry. Don't fall for the sob story of being broke. If she has $ to pay the rent, gas up the car, and feed herself, then she can plan to cut her budget accordingly to ante up for her dogs' actions.

Here in Virginia, state law states compensation will not exceed $10 per lost bird. Other posters have suggested factoring in feed and other costs however if you try to do that, every bird will "gain" value with each passing day. I couldn't find a similar Idaho law regarding compensation. You could find out what the going fair market value is for a laying hen from a local provider or simply quote a reputable online provider.

Give written notice to her with proof of compensatory costs via certified signature required letter stating she has 30 days to pony up or else the matter will be taken to small claims court (where you will seek reimbursement of any legal costs atop compensatory damages).

Make sure animal control cites the matter and follows up to ensure the dogs are properly restrained.

Don't go easy on your neighbor. It could have been your kid...

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're continuing to lose birds. Your neighbor sounds like a real piece of work, covering all her bases. I hope you can recover some money from her, even though it's doubtful you'll get anywhere near what you've invested so far.

Lost another Australorp tonight. This sucks. I think I'm going to wait another day or two to see if I lose any more. This is the list so far: Dead: 2 Australorp hens, 1 Rhode Island Red Hen, 1 EE Hen, and 1 Black Sex Link Hen; Injured: 1 Australorp Hen, 1 Black Japanese Bantam Rooster, and 1 Red Cochin Bantam Rooster. So far on what I can find for the hens for prices is $18 online and $25 locally. I don't know how to figure for the roosters. :/

Lost another Australorp tonight. This sucks. I think I'm going to wait another day or two to see if I lose any more. This is the list so far: Dead: 2 Australorp hens, 1 Rhode Island Red Hen, 1 EE Hen, and 1 Black Sex Link Hen; Injured: 1 Australorp Hen, 1 Black Japanese Bantam Rooster, and 1 Red Cochin Bantam Rooster. So far on what I can find for the hens for prices is $18 online and $25 locally. I don't know how to figure for the roosters.
hmm.png

You may be dealing with more than your neighbor's dogs. Secure that pen and coop from top to bottom as soon as you can.
Think of Fort Knox.

Last edited:
I think you said you already lost the hen with the leg problem but in case you haven't here is some info. I have Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, 3rd edition. In the health care section it shows a picture of a sling to house a chicken while recovering from a leg injury. It is made of a small wooden box frame (4 sides, no top or bottom) with hardware cloth over-lapping the top and stapled to the sides of the box. You cut a hole in the middle to lay the chicken in so her feet are off the ground. They have 2 small cans secured to the sides for feed and water.

For an antibiotic use either Terramycin or Duramycin. I haven't been able to find Terramycin around here except from a vet but I can buy Duramycin 10 at Tractor Supply. You just add it to the chicken's water supply.

I really hope you don't lose any more of your flock. I have dogs and chickens (and rabbits and a pet pig and cats). One of my dogs will kill anything she can get at like opossums, raccoons, mice, baby birds, and my first set of breeding stock rabbits. We built our coop and run as secure as I could afford. I also keep her inside the house as much as possible so she can't figure a way inside the coop or run. She is a great pet and an absolute sweetheart to humans and other dogs. She even loves kids. I would be heart broken if she got at my chickens, but would be mortified if she killed someone else's flock. I would make sure your neighbor pays for at least replacing your chickens. It isn't the same and doesn't even begin restitution, but it may be all the law allows. Don't let her get out of it by playing the "I'm broke" card. I bet she has cable, a cell phone, Netflix subscription or something that isn't a need but a luxury. If you are going to own an animal, you have to be ready to pay for any damages that animal may cause. In this area if a dog kills a pet, it gets red flagged. If it happens a second time Animal Control will take the dog and put it down as a vicious animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom