Accidentally becoming a homesteader

I live in the UK, England. Homesteading is really an American concept, and we sort of fell into it. Over time our life choices have slowly led us to homesteading. The last time we moved we wanted land to grow trees, we bought an ex farm. We started to build an arboretum,.
The land was flat, the trees were small, but we laid out an orchard, an American and an Asian area, we sourced seeds from Europe and the USA to grow unusual trees. we got on with our lives doing various other things. My dad came to live with us and we built stables for his pony. The farm had industrial greenhouse and a barn and a packing shed. Over the years most of the trees survived, we built a large pond, and the land around us grew as the trees grew.
Over the years the food we bought has often be scandalised in the newspapers with one scandal after the other. As the trees grew we added fruit bushes. We extended the house. Our kids grew up. we became more interested in our health.
The U.K. has had some horrible scandals over animal care, Turkey farms beating turkeys using them like balls in games, chicken meat bleached or chlorinated in order to make supermarkets more money.Now I sympathise with vegetarians but I always have eaten meat, and am likely to always do so, but it does not mean I do not want to eat them with a clean concience.
We bought three hens and were given a cockeral free, I was told he was weird, in as much as he was a dead ringer for a light Sussex, but she owned now light Sussex...stranger stilll he throws plenty of light Sussex children. I went to pick up what was 3 cream legbar, it was late in the season, and there was one cream legbar but her neck feathers looked as though she had been attacked and had a. And patch, the smaller one I was told was still growing not yet POL (point of lay) that was like she never got bigger and is almost certainly part bantam as we do also get smaller chickens, and the last was definitely not a cream algebra and the woman seeemmd amazed there was not 3, and offered a daisy marsh instead, having gone so far knowing it was late I took the daisy marsh she was actually a nice chicken but in months she stopped eating refused to eat and died - reason unknown, a friend better experienced said it could be anything egg bound being as likely as anything, olive oil did not help, and she slowly weakened and died.
We then succumbed to 3 blue belles (one died on checking afterwards it had a wound on its leg not visible under all the feathers, and 2 rocky Rhodes (this. Are smarter birds and soon ingratiated themselves with the cockers; and ruled the roost literally he would give them any tasty morsel to come his way even strawberries. one of the rocky Rhodes went broody, she managed to hatch 2, but lost both - to ears I think, we should have caged her and them but did not realise how vulnerable they were.
But those little chicks were darling and so we bought a Brinsea 14 and started breeding our own.
My husband also wanted ducks I saw some eggs for sale and were told they weee fertilised, we ended up with ONE duckling, what on earth do you do with ONE duckling well it lived in our bath and our lounge, mystified the dogs, and favoured my husbands beard.My husband so wanted it to not be bullied by the chickens he asked me to find some friends, so I checked and found some similar aged ducklings, but the advert was old and the ducklings were older, and my husband bought 20 ducklings, at a reduced cost for quantity, our one duck was black and now had 20 white friendly who took one look at her/him and tried to eat poor pepper (black pepper}) so we then made a duck home duck pond but poor pepper could not join them until big enough to not end up as atasty morsel
View attachment 2214013View attachment 2214015

If anyone sees or thinks of any improvements, please feel free to post, 1. I can learn, 2. You can confirm what I have learnt so far, 3. It might help others.
I am open to new ideas, and any mistakes or potential mistreated people point out will be heeded.I want healthy happy animals.

The term "homestead" definitely came from America, from the 1800s when the government gave people land for free in "new" territories (which weren't actually new, just new to European settlers after the Native people had been kicked off their land.) If the settlers could build a house and raise crops or livestock in two years, they would receive permanent ownership of the land.

Today, the term "homesteader" can mean lots of different ways of life, but the commonality is that they live self-sufficiently, with all or at least most of their needs met by what they can grow, raise or create from the resources on their land. Most of the time, it involves off-grid power from solar, windmills, or a hydro system from a nearby river or creek.

Often it's a "work-in-progress" where at times someone in the family has to work for an outside employer to pay the taxes, doctor, or vet. But as long as they're developing more skills and things to sell or barter in order to get away from the need for outside employment, or at least employment outside of their local community, it counts as "homesteading."

It sounds like what you're doing definitely qualifies!

What breed of goats are you raising? Are they for milk, meat, or selling babies?
We are going boer it is of course a meat goat with horns, not the best milker or high fat, but hopefully will provide us with plenty of milk, And hopefully yogurt, maybe if lucky cream and cheese, and if we get excess we will likely do pigs too with the spare food.
We plan to breed, I understand after you bred first time unlike cows they keep milking, but we will likely rebReed. Boys are likely to end up in the pot although the first boy is a wither companion and not for the pot, to be honest we rarely sell and rarely eat, although I have eaten goat and liked it, we will try selling them first if it comes to that but I understand boys more often end up in the pot poor souls. As a limiter of cockerals i have had to harden my soft heat, and if the neck does not go first time I can get upset. But I balance it with they had a good life not couped up in small cages.

Attachments

• 0ED12675-601E-4BEA-B151-65014D219084.jpeg
    0ED12675-601E-4BEA-B151-65014D219084.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Beautiful goats!! I would be curious to know how much milk you end up getting from them. Goats are near the top of my list. So cute and useful!
The girl we have has to reach a threshold weight before the breeder I use will mate her, so if she comes on this year she will kid about May next year. The breeder obviously lets her. Goat feed the kids, I could ask her if she milks and how much you can get, but I do not know any other goat people so cannot give you a Definitive,I know jersey goats are creamier just like jersey cows, so more fat equals better milk and cheese, we wanted goats that were bred And could be registered at least half Boer and chose Boer as they are fairly healthy by goat standards but a Boer cross with say a jersey or another Breed might give more milk and preserve the healthier characteristics. I cannot say if cross breeds take the best characteristics or if it is luck of the drawer, but I would say do not take just one persons word,research and double check as a goat can live 12-14 or older so you do not want the wrong type, I do know Pygmy goats are too small for milking purposes, just an odd fact I read.

Sorry for the delay been super busy
queen swarmed
caught a swarm with a young queen
a swarm took over a hive a marked queen now in one of our hives,we do not mark our queens so she is easy to see

we had baby chicks I’ll try and get photos
we have 2 new goats try and get photos
one dog died very sad her sister is now super clingy poor thing
we have new duck and potentially Others, something sat on the duckling who hatched as she is super quick, we had A black one called pepper this one is yellow so will be white so calling her salty.
when I get a chance I’ll upload some pictures. When I get the chance to take a breath......

Last year we only hatched Pepper the duck because he was blackk, and this time we had a yellow duck so likely a white duck so we called her Salty, she moans if you leave her alone, she thinks she is a runner duck who needs to win the 100m and races everywhere, and was definitely not a solo Tatar’s duck, so a few days in we got another black duck so we called her vinegar, well Salty was soon whipping her into shape, but she showed her the ropes, we showed salty where the food and water was and other than one dip of the bill for vinegar salty showed her whose boss and what’s what, but as the pictures shows we had 2 more days and 5 new black ducks, then another 25 hours and a salty 2 although she is more yellow, salty on one side and vinegar on the other and the extras were soon whipped into shape too, all eating, and will soon be out of the really useful box and into the rabbit hutch.

Attachments

• DB7ABD20-61BC-4691-9AE0-1660500D7C0C.jpeg
    DB7ABD20-61BC-4691-9AE0-1660500D7C0C.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 1
I have a baby duck probably pekin or Aylesbury coming through she has started to have issues with her feet crossing..
I give them duck food, so hopefully it is not niacin issues, I have split her and three others off from the original 12 as the other 11 were ousting her, the smaller number has resulted in a more friendly environment,
I only noticed the issue this morning and her legs was stuck down the side of the brooder she was led on and I hoped she had pins and needles or dead leg or she had been squeezed and the problem would ease off I gave held her and tried to encourage her to hold the leg properly, but she reverts to leaning one leg in badly, she was very thirsty and somewhat hungry perhaps a by product if the leg issue was not new and she had trouble getting to food and I had not noticed, they all hop onto the incubator to sleep, sit, and until today she was hopping up, could she have injured it and it might heal,would splitting. Ex in appropriate. For a couple of days to be sure it does not self heal, could the food I bought as duck crumbs not. E ducks crumbs,I have changed them to adult duck food and milled it down...
any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I have been mia Missing in action again, I have muscovy eggs coming out of my ears, musky mums with babies, me wit’s three lots of different age gaps, a set of chicks let out with adults,one poor chick with the latest lot, she sticks by the first duck who came through with her, and dodges any bullies. All sizes are still very musky babies, and a couple of mallard white pekin / Aylesbury. On reflection getting pekin and Aylesbury bury was a big mistake, I can’t tell them apart. These are the oldest set. I tried the middle batch with a Muscovy mum and she took exception to Two dark ones, I think they are chocolate muskies but might be Cayuna ducks, any way I immediately put her and Hers back and protected mine. The musky mums hate me at the moment because I am penning them in late on with abuse food and water after I saw a chicken dashing around with a musky baby - dead - and it’s head with a tapping hole where it’s brain should be, cannot identify what killed and am taking no chances

Attachments

• AA43D2E3-0142-4639-927F-75FED1612506.jpeg
    AA43D2E3-0142-4639-927F-75FED1612506.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 7A201EC7-2D67-4DCF-B0EA-B992C74FB4CA.jpeg
    7A201EC7-2D67-4DCF-B0EA-B992C74FB4CA.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 12EA231B-7899-4869-8965-2F686BA7F148.jpeg
    12EA231B-7899-4869-8965-2F686BA7F148.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 1
  • ADCE3165-07A5-4F6D-9602-0E15892152FA.jpeg
    ADCE3165-07A5-4F6D-9602-0E15892152FA.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 1
For the duck with the crossed feet I decided on horse brewers yeast I make it up and let them all at it, it’s hard to overdose on niacin apparently, and the other items should hopefully do no harm, there is sone improvement but she is not straight limbed.

Back
Top Bottom