Acclimating Pet Dogs? Can it be done?

cynikal

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
We have a King Cav Spanial (1.5 year old) and she really wants the chicks (1 week old). i have been trying to just let her look and slowly get her use to the idea of chickens but she goes APE____!!! after a couple minutes. today she busted in didn't do any damage but scared the little chicks. the dog is normally laid back and never jumpy, but the chickens bring something out in her! will the dog learn once the chickens get bigger and can defend themselves a little or is there a method to train a dog that they are not food?

Thanks

Here are some of my suggestions:
- make sure the dog has been exercised and is somewhat tired before exposure to the chickens. This will allow the dog to focus on you and your commands better.
- always have the dog on a leash during the chicken training so you can control it
- teach the dog basic commands: sit, come, down, stay, wait and LEAVE IT. The heel command is good because it teaches the dog to focus on you while on leash.
- work with the dog to ignore the chickens - don't make a fuss about him "MEETING" the chickens. you want him to ignore them. He can glance in their direction, but do not let him focus in on them. Keep his attention on you.

Your dog is young enough that he will learn - as long as you and your family are consistant with the training. ALWAYS tire the dog out before you try to train. play fetch, along walk, running around at the dog park.

what i did with mine- and they were proven bird killers, had them tied near the pen at first, and once they began ignoring the birds, began walking each of them when i free ranged the birds, watching their reactions- telling them no when they showed aggression, it took awhile, not over nite, and now i can let them out around the birds, no problem- each dog will be different- i have a friend with a jack russel that would sit on the ground with him leashed, when he got to excited would get his attention with a treat, again, after alot of exposure he settled down and is safe with them- really, time and patience

If the dog is exhibiting hunting instincts and you hold it near the prey and make it stare at what it wants, you are training it to kill. The dog is frustrated and the desire to get hold of the prey builds and builds.

To teach a dog to not bother chickens, you take it well away from the birds and you obedience train the dog. Walk on a leash, sit, down, stay, come, leave it, heel.

Once the dog understands and obeys commands, you start working where he can see the birds in the distance. If he looks at the birds, a firm "leave it'!" and " heel!". When the dog will ignore the birds, you work closer and closer. Every time he looks at the birds, you command "leave it" and continue to work. Closer and closer until you can walk right through the flock and the dog will "leave it". Keep working, and he will no longer look at the birds.

Praise praise praise every time he does it right.

Then a looser leash, looser and looser and tell him firmly leave it every time he looks at the birds. Start doing recalls right in the chicken pen, do all the obedience exercises the dog knows, right in the middle of the birds. Praise him for ignoring them, if he looks at them it is not only astern "leave it" but if he is looking, you need to move further away and keep working until you can get closer and have the dog still focus on you.

He will learn not to touch, but you must train him to not touch. You can't just hope he will read your mind and do as you are hoping.,

We have a Golden Retriever and a Coton de Tulear and both are great with our chickens. Well, the Coton is afraid of them mostly. The Golden wanted to go after them initially because she was attracted to their skittery movements but we just told her NO and she obeyed. Maybe keep the dog on a leash around them at the beginning until it learns to stay when the chickens are around?

I have an 11.5 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and she too is bird crazy. As a matter of fact she ate my sister's parakeet on Thanksgiving 2 years ago! My sister lets her birds fly free in her home office and forgot to pull the door shut. Well my cav smelled those birds, pushed the door open and the sweetest one 'Dove' met her death that morning. I have two hens and make sure my cav is under lock and key when they are out. I have taken her out on a leash when they've been out and she has somewhat adjusted to them but if they run she gets all excited. I don't trust her with them. Spaniels are bird dogs. Good luck.

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel too and he is exactly the same. I will NEVER trust him around chickens. EVER.
And I don't think you should trust yours either. You just have to work with it. While the chickens are out, the dogs locked up and vice versa.
They were bred to hunt quail after all, so you cant expect them to act anyway other.

Last edited:
I have a Pom mix, he is very mellow, did not get the yappy of the Pom. He is very good around the chickens, even when they were chicks. Our other dog is a Chiu/Jack Russell mix. Introduced her to the chickens when she was 7 weeks old, the chickens were about 15 weeks. She startled them at first, but the next day she just laid down with them & they thought she was a chicken too. She would dig a hole, they moved her out of the way & used it for a dust bath. She had a piece of lettuce in her mouth, they took it out of her mouth.Now she is 4 months old & loves to run around the yard with the other dog, and will sometimes scatter the hens. This puts our Roo into defender mode, and he will chase the dogs. Gave a good peck to out mellow dog, so now Marty stays clear of our Roo. Sophie has the happy go lucky attitude, and wants to play with our Roo when he is in defender mode. I tell her, when he gets you & you cry, I will not feel sorry for you.

Now our Silkies are a different matter all together, Marty can't quite figure out what they are, but when they roam the kitchen (yes they are spoiled), he will watch them and tilt his head when the chirp and peep, but he will stay at my feet. I usually have Sophie outside when the Silkies are out, just for precautions.

I would say, just keep them locked up safe, and when they are bigger, keep trying to introduce her to them. Once they get big enough to defend themselves, and you are there to supervise, see how she reacts. All it may take is a good peck from one of them to snap her out of her mode. Mine I know I can trust with my chickens, because I know my chickens will beat the tar out of my dogs.

It can be done and there are many methods to try if you have the time and patience. You have to be consistent and the dog needs to be already used to following your commands. Breed doesn't really matter....all my Labs were wonderful around chickens.

You know, I wonder if that's true that the breed doesn't matter. From the anecdotal evidence here, it sounds like King Charles Cavalier spaniels are not inclined to behave around chickens. What about terriers? Labs and Goldens may be easier because they're just so "whatevs" about everything.

Back
Top Bottom