Acclimating similar age jumbo Peking ducks with 7 hens/rooster

Will79

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Salisbury, NC
Picking up a pair of mated 5 month old jumbo Peking ducks soon-I have 7 hens/rooster (RIR roo/mixed hens) of similar age. Ducks can be aggressive towards chickens but more hens is my understanding.

Chickens have a 48 sqft house 7ft tall in a 12x12 enclosed run (chain link with HC skirt) with general foraging in a 25x50 run. I have a couple smaller dog runs on rocks next to the other runs I can use for them to get used to each other along with a 4x4 tractor I can use for the ducks short term as I’m guessing I will be building their own love shack so to speak as I doubt they will all get along in the chicken house.

300G rubbermaid pool filtered is in the works but short term a kiddie pool and multiple water buckets for them and feed (running hot wire around entire perimeter as well). Chickens food/water stays in their house.

Just looking for feedback from members on how best to let them adjust to each other. Easy to let the ducks run around in the larger run while the chickens observe and can put the ducks in the tractor for safety etc.

Thanks in advance!

Placing the new ducks in a separate area but close to your chickens would be best. That way they can see each other and get used to each other. As for who will go after who, thats a hard one sometimes it's the newbies chasing the residents and other times it's the residents going after the newbies. Only thing to remember is chickens can really injure and duckling with their sharp beaks. So when you want to put them together after they have lived side by side be sure to supervise. As long as your chickens have a way to stay away from the ducks that would help.
Here is info works for all poultry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

Placing the new ducks in a separate area but close to your chickens would be best. That way they can see each other and get used to each other. As for who will go after who, thats a hard one sometimes it's the newbies chasing the residents and other times it's the residents going after the newbies. Only thing to remember is chickens can really injure and duckling with their sharp beaks. So when you want to put them together after they have lived side by side be sure to supervise. As long as your chickens have a way to stay away from the ducks that would help.
Here is info works for all poultry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
Thank you! Love this forum!

Back
Top Bottom