Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

Pics
When I finally got home this eve everything looks good all the live birds are running around eating, squawking, having a good time . So I dont know? The only thing I can figure is one of the kids burnt something they shouldn't have? No one will admit anything but it's my best guess
20200110_103719.jpg
these are the brooders we use plus a tote on top for the smallest birds. The tote does have a heat lamp but it's the kind approved for birds. It's been in use for the last 2 months with birds so if it was the issue I would have lost Many more by now.
We did a deep cleaning of the brooders tonight, they look much better. We also moved birds up that had outgrown the stage of brooder they were In. So we have the brooders set so that the tote is the warmest and the one below that is cooler, so good for birds 3 days or so to 3 weeks? Then they move to the bottom brooder that is set cooler yet. The birds stay there for a couple more weeks then move to what we call the tv.
20200118_144836.jpg
when they are fully feathered and we have progressed to the heat being off in the tv then they move outside to a brooder in the shop so I can light a fire on Cold nights and keep em going. And then they move to a growout pen in the coop compound.
I have quite a few birds growing right now. We have suffered some growing pains but I think we are moving in the correct direction.
I took a closer look st the turkey eggs this eve, 3 were DIS and 2 had internally piped but never externally piped and died :hit 2 more have internally piped and are talking to me, I added safety holes but am waiting for the veins to recede. Have 4 chicken eggs due tomorrow. I hope to wake up to fluffy babies!

I want to see some fluffy babies... I'm still waiting for mine 😩 feels like I've been waiting forever and the worse part is I think they're the eggs I've been wanting to hatch since I got my polish. She's my favorite bird ever even though she's a wild thing

I was busy with the cleaning and moving last night so I didn't take any pics. woke up this morning and checked on my 2 turkey eggs, one looked like it was trying to zip??? but the safety hole was covered by its shoulder>>>:barnie
so I quickly removed its cap and finally found its little beak< whew! it was still alive but looked a little sticky?? so I was going to wash it off but discovered that it had not fully absorbed the yolk:th
So back in the half shell it went wrapped in a paper towel and stuffed in a cup in the incubator... we will see what I walk into this eve???
the second one was sill breathing but had lots of veins still so I was giving it more time.
here is praying that I get 2 babies out of this deal:fl

I want to see some fluffy babies... I'm still waiting for mine 😩 feels like I've been waiting forever and the worse part is I think they're the eggs I've been wanting to hatch since I got my polish. She's my favorite bird ever even though she's a wild thing
in my very limited experience breeding a polish to a non crested breed will result in what I would call a half fluff... meaning that it has a half crest like a crested legbar?? they are cute!
20200219_111601.jpg
here is one we hatched in jan

in my very limited experience breeding a polish to a non crested breed will result in what I would call a half fluff... meaning that it has a half crest like a crested legbar?? they are cute!View attachment 2037793here is one we hatched in jan
Mine should be golden laced polish crossed with silver sebright. I can't wait to see them!

I ran home for lunch to check on my turkeys, the little one I helped out this morning had passed:hit
I found the second one Stuck. It was sticky and the goo had it almost cemented in! I managed to free it and give it a bath. It was breathing easy in the incubator when I left the house.
20200228_145307.jpg
I snapped this pic right after its bath. When I left it was wandering around the incubator. I am hopeful it will be ready to move to the brooder by the time I get home.

I wonder why sometimes the chick's will hatch out sort of sticky?
my understanding is that they do not lose enough moisture during the incubation period and the embryo is not able to absorb all the liquid that is left??? I was very confused about these because I ran at 25-30% humidity during the incubation period so I thought they would have lost enough moisture. now being shipped eggs and going up in elevation almost 3000 feet probably had something to do with it.
I have to say that my success rate with hatching shipped eggs has not been great. bantam bird sent me over 60 eggs that were Very well packed and I managed to hatch out 3 marans and 1 turkey. I do not believe it was bantam birds fault at all but a combo of shipping and elevation change. I am very excited to see what these birds grow up to be!

Back
Top Bottom