addicted to ducks

duckmomma92

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
branson, mo
Ever since getting my ducks im hooked!!! Ihave 4 pekins and I want more and different breeds, I have a drake pekin so what breeds would be the best to breed with? I was thinking of staying with white colored ducks so if they mate together they'll still look authentic to their breed, opinions?

I started out with Pekins too :) and like you became addicted I've got 15 ducklings who are 12 weeks old now to go with my Pekins lol. It all depends I got khaki Campbell's, welsh harlequins, cayugas, Ancona, and rouens. Depending on how gentle your drake is will depend on what breeds would be OK. Other than call ducks and snowy mallards I'm not sure their is plain white ducks except Pekins.

I dont what just plain white, but a pekin breed with a ancona would still look like an ancona whereas a pekin and a cayugas im not sure about... I was just thinkin of sticking with the lighter color breeds to hwlp with looks.... part of the reason is because im interested in taking them to shows and selling

Well their are Muscovy but not being mallard derived makes them not as desirable, any offspring will be mules.

Although, I think someone here posted a pekin scovie mix it was actually quite nice! Basically stick with your mid weight to heavy weight breeds.

Last edited:
I dont want to sound mean, but I dont prefer Muscovy ducks... I really like magpies and anconas, silver appleyards, blue swedish ect... can I breed a pekin with those?

yes pekin will breed with pretty much any of those. I have ancona and cuyoga and pekin...and they are all really sweet..my buff hens are super sweet, but my drake was not. Also the runners are pretty sweet and they come in light colors as well. I have a buff and runner cross which is very pretty..it was a chocolate runner with a fuff and the color is a really nice darker tan/ fawn color..pekin with a cuyoga would probably be pretty , but you'll get some darker markings. I'd breed for temperment as well..someone here said calls..i would nto breed a call and a pekin..i don't even know if that's possible, but calls are too small for that. I try to breed true to the breed fro show..some of my ducks do cross breed, but i also have pur buff babies, and such as well.

I said calls as I thought the OP was looking for other white ducks. Calls would not stand a chance with a heavy breed like Pekins.

lol..for sure..poor calls..although i love calls..i too am hooked and want every kind of duck..i have mandarins due in 4 days!! so excited..i sure hope they hatch

Oh my I'm officially jealous! I would love some mandarins. But that's a project down the road along with everything else lol.

Back
Top Bottom