We Quit Cigarettes

your sweet cravings have to do with low serotonin levels in the brain, this leads to cravings. Also, your GUT microbiome is probably out of synch, leading to this problem as serotonin is made in the GUT also. Dopamine also is depleted which can lead to REWARD deficiency - nothing satisfies. So, sounds like you need neurochemical and GUT support. Stress is always an issue to because it can throw the neurochmicals out of balance
She doesn't drink enough water either

You do realize that they extract all the parts that "could" infect people; the brain and central nervous tissue...and this is not used for human consumption. Of all the things I could worry about...this is not one of them. And we're cattle farmers. You will do more harm to yourself from elevated levels of stress hormones worrying about something like this than the actual thing itself. Life is so short...enjoy it. Seeing the positives in your life is much more important to your body's well being. :)

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/tu6533

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

you wouldn’t have to see the psychiatrist as often....just to monitor and update meds....you could still see the therapist weekly to talk about how everything is going and changes etc

Thanks! That makes sense. Still not convinced I want or need that though. Idk.

It takes the right therapist, and the right patient attitude aligning to make progress.

You may benefit from some mediation, at least for a time.

You have to really want to change.

OMFG!!! :lol::gig:lau Did you make that up?!

I think we align/mesh pretty well and I’m definitely motivated and really want to change haha and I know it doesn’t seem like it cause some stuff I haven’t changed much/am still the same. Like I’m still on here too much and talk too much. So it looks like I haven’t changed or don’t want to. But IRL I’ve made a ton of progress and changed a lot of other things. Just as an example I’m way better about my self care now. Plus now I’ve recently gone back to eating healthy and trying to sleep earlier after a period of not doing either.

Medicine might help and I may consider it eventually if this doesn’t work but I do not think that it is the only option or that it’s for everybody which was basically all I was trying to say before. It might be for me, idk, but I know that I have been making huge progress already despite not even really delving into much yet. Just the fact that I’m seeing one has motivated me. I don’t want to lie to her so I just try harder haha

Yup, BTDT, I wasn't crazy about either of them but it got me thru a really tough time.

I finally convinced myself to see one after I had relapsed several times and wasn’t making any progress stopping on my own.

While this may be true, therapists are not medical doctors. Psychiatrists are. They are also typically far more specialized in dealing with mental disorders. I think therapists are a fantastic option, but they are not "the same thing".

Sorry, I should have been more clear before. I didn’t mean they were literally the same thing and I know they have more training and a degree and stuff but I guess I was just meaning that therapists can be helpful too. Since it seemed like some were saying the only good/worthwhile ones were psychiatrists.

I saw a psychiatrist and I thought they were amazing. They helped me more than most.

I’m sure they’re great but idek if there’s any around here and also my insurance ends soon so I don’t really want to be paying for two.

From my understanding, it seems like they are super specialized in certain areas, whereas therapists are usually covering a broader scope. Was that your experience?

I think broad would be better for me cause I have a lot of different problems hahah

Plus mine specializes in all of my exact issues which is why I chose her.

I used to see a psychiatrist for med management and a psychologist for therapy. Both were helpful but in different ways.

There is a psychologist around here too that I was considering seeing that also takes my insurance and she comes from a more medical background and may be more helpful plus have more training or whatever but she’s further away and plus mine specializes in my stuff. And she’s across the street. But it might be beneficial to at least see an actual psychologist/someone with a tad more training even if I don’t see the psychiatrist.

My kid has ADHD and is mildly autistic (no meds for the latter). I'm bipolar. After he got out of foster care, we were court-ordered into therapy for years. We saw the counselor bi-weekly for a while, then monthly, and the psychiatrist for meds every month, but now only every three months and the counselor as needed. It's great to have a good support system. If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've got. If nothing changes, nothing changes. We're doing great. This little guy has come a long way and I'm incredibly thankful for the help we've gotten.

I’m glad everything is going so well with him. :love

And you are totally right about nothing changing unless you change it but I have been doing that. I started seeing this lady last month which was huge for me and I’ve been trying to change a lot of other stuff too.

You can! The first week or so is the hardest. After that, just keep reminding yourself that you REALLY don't want to start counting all over again.
A couple of years after I first quit, I nearly fell off the proverbial wagon (if that applies to smoking) when my Dad was really sick. I convinced myself that he would recover, and that when he did, he would never let me forget the relapse. Luckily, I was right on both counts!
Many, many years later, I nearly started again when my then-husband chain smoked. What stopped me then was the thought of having to replace the word "years smoke-free" with a new count - "days smoke-free." It sounds funny, now, but that simple, "silly" thought gave me what I needed to stay strong.
Look forward to that day. It'll feel awesome!

I know exactly what you mean about changing years to days or weeks and it definitely sucks!! I’ve had to do that several times.

The therapists to me acted more like a life coach. Reminded me of a school guidance counselor. They were more of advice givers and I felt like they didn't solve anything.

The psychiatrist was down to the nitty gritty and could get more into my head. There was a lot more they could do and diagnose you will a mental disorder. A therapist can't do that because they're not a doctor. A psychiatrist has more access in the medical field and they know way better techniques that can help you. I felt like they were more direct.

That makes a lot of sense and I’m sure they have more training or whatever but mine is helping me and I like her so I don’t really want to see another right now and deal with finding the right one. This one was the first one I saw but we clicked right away.

Don't apologize for seeing a therapist! Years ago, a pastoral counselor literally saved my life. A good therapist, a good counselor, a good psychiatrist ... any one of them is worth their weight in gold. People who have never needed one or have always been able to handle their issues are truly blessed ... but can have a lot of trouble understanding why some of us need the extra insight. And that, after all, is what mental and emotional health practitioners do. They don't tell you how to "fix" your problems. They help you figure out how to do it, yourself. You do what you need to do - and good luck!

Thank you!! I really appreciate this!! And yes! Mine has been a huge help.

@Kiki, not one drag. Not one. I started smoking at 13. Quit at 18. Did not smoke for 23 years. Used to dream - nightmares, actually - that I had started again and could not quit. Then ... in a crisis, I did. Just one cigarette. Guess what. Seventeen years later, could not quit. Panic attacks if I even THOUGHT about quitting. Tried everything. Chantix, the patch, cold turkey, weaning. Finally, it was the power of prayer that set me free. It was just a miracle. Just don't even take one drag. It's a hook. You're free, stay free!
Glad you are finally free!!! :love

But yes it is so hard to quit again once you start!! Even just one time then you’re right back. At least I was.

I'm in. :pop

Kelsey, if you actually arranged a trip down to visit Kiki, I would make the drive and come too.
I'm serious.

I think your therapist is lovely and the appointments are great for you.
But there is a difference between counselors, therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists. Counselor is not neccesarily a protected title and can be any old Joe off the street.
Therapist is similar to psychologist but a psychologist has gone through much more schooling and they are held to higher standards than therapists.
And no, not every psychiatrist just wants to put you on medication. Many work closely with partnered psychologists so they can both come up with the best plan for you.

Let’s all just quit BYC at once! :lau

Wait seriously!? I may have to do this now. 🤔 :pop

Thank you! I think she is.

And yeah, sorry, I wasn’t clear. I know that they’re not literally the same and that some have more training or whatever but I was more just meaning that they can all be helpful. I think I majorly misinterpreted some stuff last night but it had kind of seemed like some were saying that therapists weren’t valid or helpful or whatever and psychiatrists were the only real/good ones so I was mostly just trying to disprove that. But yes, some definitely have more training. But all can help. Some people just might need “more” or whatever.

And that’s good!! I’m glad they don’t all. Cause it seemed like most did but maybe not. Idk. I just found one nearby that on the website it says they do use regular therapy and stuff but also medicine. Seemed kind of a definitive that they use it.

I'm in. :pop

Kelsey, if you actually arranged a trip down to visit Kiki, I would make the drive and come too.
I'm serious.

I think your therapist is lovely and the appointments are great for you.
But there is a difference between counselors, therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists. Counselor is not neccesarily a protected title and can be any old Joe off the street.
Therapist is similar to psychologist but a psychologist has gone through much more schooling and they are held to higher standards than therapists.
And no, not every psychiatrist just wants to put you on medication. Many work closely with partnered psychologists so they can both come up with the best plan for you.
I'm going to tell the Mex I'm having a girls only party soon...he will have to go rent a room.:woot
I'm going to come gatecrash.
I'll egg the place.
I'll bring the TP.
Kdog can drive us around to wrap houses.
We'll let her get the speeding ticket hauling ass outta there.

:lau man, why do I miss all the fun!? The one night I leave haha

My daughter was just in Houston last week. She just got back in town this past Monday. She had a convention or "show" or whatever they call it for her job. I'm honestly not sure exactly the why. It has to do with their facility or something. She works at a water park.
Oh my! "Houston, we are going to have a problem"? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Why is everyone in or going to Houston lately!? :lau

The nausea is what made me stop taking the medicine last time.
I can't remember but I'm guessing I did not eat when I took it last time.
This time I have been eating with every pill except for tonight's... And this is the first time that I got that nasty nausea feeling.
I was burping. Lol
I'm am so glad it passed because I was really not feeling too hot there for a while.
Many me finches must be taken with a meal nowadays.
Over the counter medicine called Emetrol for nausea or vomiting.. We used it with our children when they were little and we use it as adults.
This is the squishing machine.
I worried for nothing.
It wasn't bad at all.View attachment 2032028
As you get older, these images are taken annually. Pain depends on the operator of this machine. I've wanted to backhand a few.
I hope each day is getting better and better for you.

You've inspired me to go on a long needed diet, to lose the 15 lbs that has crept up on me since hitting the dreaded menopause. I think to myself, if Kiki can quit smoking, I can do this.
I'm right in there with you....goal is to lose 25 pounds and get my A1c down below 6.5...

[
I think it depends on the individual. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear but it’s true. I think as long as you are eating healthy and lots of protein, fruits vegetables, healthy fats and nuts, etc. it’s not a huge concern.
With diabetes, a lot depends on how long you were "pre-diabetic" your age and what types of insulin you are on...long acting and/or short acting. And what your eating habits are.
I was pre-diabetic from 30 to 48 when I changed doctors. He said you either are or you aren't...I was. He sent me to an endocrinologist saw me one time and turned me over to his nurse who started me on fast acting insulin. They did not hook me up with a dietician.
Cooking for a family with no diabetes symptoms for the next three years, my eating habits did not change. The nurse put me on slow acting insulin. Again no diet consultation.
I began doing my own research on diet and checked with my primary doctor who encouraged me to exercise more, eat fewer processed carbs, more veggies and fiber. We are meat eaters (cattleranch) beef, chicken, fish, pork and lamb.
Recent research I'm exploring is that the older we get as women, our estrogen levels drop, no longer stimulating the pancreas and our meat consumption can increase abdominal fat build-up. Losing that extra fat will help me reach my weight goal.
I'm a 68 year old work in progress, now on Januvia 2x daily, 50 units of Tresiba daily, and 5 to 9 units of Humalog before each meal. Non-fasting A1c has been high at 8.3 and low as 6.5. I test every morning and now before each meal. My goal is to repair my pancreas, lose fat weight and bring A1c down with fasting sugar levels below 110.

Type 2 diabetic should eat between 45 and 60 carbs a day
These need to be healthy carbs.

The blood pressure ..... Is he going to get treatment for that?
The cholesterol?
Prediabetes is certainly not good either.

I will share my numbers....
First A1C taken 45 days after finding I had an issue and eliminating carbs was 11.3. Three months later with meds and dietary changes was a 6.8. I go in next month for another test. I am hoping to be 6 or below.
Stay the course!

Yeah I know but I love it so much and don’t think I could ever totally give it up. :hit

But I guess I’m going to have to. :( :hit
You don't have to give up ice cream...just a dust the portion?

This has added sugars! Look at the calories with each 2/3 cup portion. Reduce calories to 120 by eating 1/3 cup with mixed nuts added for fiber. Or switch to a different less sugary ice cream.

I'm almost convinced it's because I am not doing stuff.
Because I'm laying down.
You can recline without lying down...

No no no...there is no 'working on' allowed with this.
Drive right or don't drive at all.
Period.
Exactly what we told our girls...and followed thru with taking their keys away if they did not heed the warning.

Anyone ever made risotto? I'm making it right now and I hope it turns out good 🤞🏼
The slow reduction in liquid each time is do worth it.

:frow Hi all!

I'm finally caught up over here. I've been watching the other Kiki Quitting Smoking thread but haven't commented on it yet. I'm so stinking proud of you woman that I can't even articulate it! :hugs:celebrate That thread is flying and am so far behind but I will catch up eventually.

My heart breaks for you Tes. I wish I had something inspired and uplifting to say but I just hurt for you and can't think. I am so very sorry for your loss! :hugs

And FortCluck, boy you have been through the wringer over the last couple/few weeks. I am glad to read that while you are still in the process of recovering, you are at least home and feeling better. That was super scary!

As for me.... I've been meh. I tweaked my knee a while back and it keeps getting aggravated and I am finally at a point where I can take care of it. So I had to get am MRI to confirm what I pretty much already knew. I tore my meniscus. Nothing major but definitely annoying. The interesting thing is that I also chipped a piece of bone off of my knee. I guess when I took a spill at some point in time. So I am going to have to have surgery, which will be an outpatient thing which I appreciate, but it's still going to suck. And it's my driving leg! :rant:duc:he It's going to suck so bad y'all but I keep telling myself that it will only be temporary. It's not helping but I still keep telling myself that.

Hubby's out of town for business for the weekend. His overseas business trip has definitely been postponed with this crazy coronavirus wreaking havoc and we don't know when, if at all, he will have to go.

Other than that, nothing interesting going on around here.
Orthoscopic? I had three before total knee replacement .

omg they’re gorgeous!!!!!!! :eek:

I like this idea. But I grew up a little today and stopped looking for impulse animals. :oops:

I want to add geese for sure and goats too but all in their appropriate time. I’ve got a guardian dog puppy coming soon. That will keep me busy!

I’m calling it a wash. I rationalized all day long that I could smoke today because it was my quit day. I had one cigarette at 3:00. It was weird. Like this sad goodbye that I didn’t want to be a part of. And the most ridiculous body rush that I just tried to be aware of instead of latch on to. It was like I could feel how much my body was probably pissed off at me.

1 cigarette is huge for me anyway, but it’s not 0. Pressure is on for tomorrow. But really, I’m ready. I don’t think tomorrow will be hard ... this week will be trying but I can do it. I CAN NOT SMOKE. Thanks @aart.

You sound very similar to me. First the driving thing and now this haha I have a problem with impulsive animals too. :oops: impulsive buying in general. :oops: I’ve been better lately though but still.

Our oldest is way good at 100. If he gets 60 ish he gets pretty mean and cranky. Into the 30's, if you didn't know him, you'd think he was drunk. He's type 1, though. Poor kid :( Diabetes is such a tough deal. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

That sounds awful. :(

I had some weird stuff last night. I ate around 11am then not again until like 10pm (not on purpose, just wasn’t hungry for a while then got busy/forgot) and I was super emotional, grouchy, everything, and felt really sick. I cried like at least 5 times last night. Probably more. I also had a very scary memory thing where I couldn’t remember I was here for something earlier in to e day and I was adamant that I was not and arguing about it and even called my mom to prove I was right haha I wasn’t and eventually remembered several minutes later because I remembered one very specific part/conversation but that was it. It was terrifying and extremely embarrassing. I was also snapping at everyone and then I started hyperventilating/wheezing/sobbing for several minutes and couldn’t stop. It was terrifying. I assumed I was just getting sick because I had woken up with a sore throat and stuffy nose (both later went away but still) and did today too but now I wonder if I am not already diabetic or something..... or can healthy people have crazy problems from going without eating too???

Our anniversary is July 30, too :)

Absolutely brilliant!

@Kiki has the willpower of a titan! We all need willpower lessons from Kiki! :bow

Agreed!! No clue how she does it!!

Good heavens! 30's is very very dangerously low!
I get below 100 and have the shakes bad. The doc told me that is pretty normal as my body adjusts to running on normal levels. She said anything 60 or below is time to hit emergency sugars even for normal people.

I wonder if my incident last night could be something related to sugar...

Come on day 6.
Let's get this party started.

I want to stay in bed and do nothing today but I will not.

:lau same especially since I didn’t sleep much last night but oddly I’m not even tired and leapt out of bed this morning and have been moving doing stuff and already went for a walk haha and I took my asthma medicine this morning too just in case.

:wee

I need “what would @aart do” (WWAD) tattooed somewhere or something so it stops me before I even get started.:D

my how you would be proud of me. INDEPENDENT of which chickens I have or even like I made a decision on how many chickens I should have for the move. I’ve systematically rehomed/sold off 40 chickens this week, including some that I never would have parted with before WWAD. Silly little reasons and arbitrary “connections”that would have kept me over extended and likely the chickens stressed with multiple moves pushing boundaries of space requirements for them or my budget making temporary enclosures. When I boxed up a trio I was really looking forward to breeding I even said to myself “Aart would be proud of me.”:thumbsup

When I take the meat birds next week I’ll have under 20 adults here and just a few chicks. Yes!!!
:gig Oh lordy no, don't do that!
Just say NO!

I frequently practice “what would @Kiki do?” 😂🙈

Back
Top Bottom