Adding wood chips to sand

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
Yesterday I was turning the sand in my coop and run over for aeration, and for leveling it off as it got compacted (it's builder's sand as it my only option around here). I almost passed out due to the nitrogen, i got dizzy, my arms were tingling...bad stuff.

I had to walk it off for some fresh air. I wanted to add wood chips for two reasons : loosen the sand some and provide some odor absorbing, esp with cedar chips.

BUT I thought maybe cedar wouldn't be good for them to have in case they peck at it since it has evergreen compounds.

thoughts?

Our run has sand too. I sprinkle some Sweet PDZ throughout the run once or twice a week, and I only turn the sand over in the run about once a month, and sprinkle some Sweet PDZ over it after turning it. It helps keep the odor/gases down. But I also scoop as much large poops out as I can every day, and that helps too. The chickens help mix the Sweet PDZ into the ground as they dig and peck, so it works out good.

I tried sand in my coop but quickly gave up on it and do deep litter now. But, sweet PDZ really does help with the amonia and smell, no matter if you're talking wood chips or sand.

I know you aren't supposed to use cedar in a brooder or as the main wood in a coop. I'm not sure if a little bit is too much oil or not...

i have sweet pdz and use it often. I also planned on sifting out the poop, but the sand never dries so i can't sift anything out! mushy poo meets mushy sand, then it's just awefull

i don't do deep litter b/c by coop doesnt have a solid floor. It has a slatted floor with drawers underneath. That's not changing b/c it's very neat. The run is what is sand and that's over concrete slab, so nothing breaks down like it would on dirt. But the coops at a friends house so i preferred it on a slab for protection.

In a wet climate the straw will quickly turn into a soggy, slimy, and eventually moldy mess. In an area that gets a lot of rain I'd go with sand only and leave it at that. Although with a concrete slab sealing it off underneath drainage is always going to be a problem and wastes are going to build up. You might find you'll have to completely strip it out every so often and replace the sand.

Back
Top Bottom