adopted a hurt chick,got a question...

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
hello,went to tsc to get some feed and i always go look at the babies.i dont feel the need to buy any as i have 6 7 day olds at home.i happed to notice an xrock by itself and when i took a better look i saw a quarter size open sore on her thigh.i new they wouldnt give her to me so i went home and called my friend who is a supervisor at that store.she was on her way to florida but told me she had told them to put blu-kote on it,which they hadnt done.so she called them and told them to give me the chick.by the time i got back there they had sprayed blu-kote on it,but got it all over the chick,even her beak.so when i tried to put her with my babies they attacked her.so i seperated her.my questions are,i thought blu-kote keeps the others from attacking,is it because they got it all over her,can it be washed out,or should it be,how often should it be reapplied.also im putting electrolytes in the water is there anything else i should do?thanks for any help...

I don't know if they were attacking her because she was purple or just because she was new. I doubt very seriously you could wash it out but when her new feathers come in the purple will be gone. I would keep an eye on the wound which was probably from the others chicks, Unless you see it wearing off of the site you probably won't have to apply again. Can you set her up with a brooder right next to the others where they can hear each other> or maybe try putting just one in with this one and see what happens, it needs a friend. I saw where someone used a piece of plexiglass and put that between the chicks so they could see each other but not touch then after a few days removed the glass. do you have any of that stuff you mix in water for newly hatch chicks? it turns green. can't think of what it's called. or some of the stuff you have been feeding to heather mixed with the chick feed. and electrolytes are great too. Good luck you have a regular hospital going there. Hows Heather tonight by the way?

Quote:
miss lydia,coming to my aid once again...lol i know i must be a glutten for punishment.i just couldnt let that poor chick sit there and suffer alone.the other babies werent pecking her sore,they were mostly pecking her beak.like i said they got that blu-kote every where on her.i finally took one of my babies out and put it in with her.the new chick loves the company but the one i just put in there is not a happy camper.she misses her friend.heather,im not sure how shes doing.i have not been able to get alot into her today.if this keeps up i guess it wont be long.she has to eat to survive.

I meant the chicks at the store must have been pecking it to have had a sore that big on it thigh. I am sorry to hear that heather isn't coming around. Sounds like she has lost the will to live. so sorry.

Quote:
as far as heathers concerned,im hoping she didnt eat much because i was out until around 630,thats usually roosting time.so ill try again in the morning.
yes the chicks at tsc did it to the poor chick.the new one,which i have named Fat Chick,and the other one i put in with her are starting to get along.they are even laying next to eachother.i love the plexie glass idea.ill have to think on that for a bit...

baby chick is doing great.i wonder how long it will take for that blu-kote to wear off of her beak.thats where the babies were pecking on her the most.heather is laying in the corner not moving as usual..
sad.png
im gonna try to feed her after ive had my coffee...

since you'd be using a tissue of even a cotton ball I don't think that much alcohol would get into her mouth, just make sure it's not dripping .you know just wet enough to gently wash off.

Back
Top Bottom