ADOPTING VS. PURCHASING

I don't think you will be able to find a hand tame bird as a adoption. About the best you could hope for is a bird that was hand tame.

The reason I say this is because adoption centers tend to houses birds together and once a bird realizes that its a bird then its never going to be the same as a hand feed chick. Also the bird was probably ignored before the owner surrendered it to the adoption center.
I sometimes breed tiels and I have had to hand feed a few birds that I had no intention of selling. With in a few weeks of being in a aviary with other birds they tend to resort back to being wild. Now they are tamer than a wild tiel and will not draw blood when handled but there not going to fly to you and sit on your shoulder at every opportunity.

A true tame bird is expensive because of the time and effort it takes to feed and handle the bird and out of every 10 only 7 will end up as pet quality. That being said most people will find pet quality a little annoying. At the moment I have a pet quality ring neck harassing me and hes determined that I need to stop typing and pay him some attention. My only advice would be to pay close attention to how the bird views you and how they react when you reach towards them. A hand tame shouldn't freak and should either step up on to a finger or reach out to grasp it with its beak then step up.

If any one at the adoption center puts on gloves to handle a bird then that's a bad sign (p.s some older birds are sexist so what might be hand tame to my wife will not be hand tame to me).

i hope you find a good bird.

Back
Top Bottom