ADOR1 Chicken coop door?

Make sure what ever door you get it will not close until dusk or a bit later. Lots of stories about doors that close too early... mine closes at dusk and changes the time every day. It's a home made door.

JT

I've had several auto doors. This one is the 1st one we had. I can't remember the details of why it broke - but it broke. And it was expensive. And there was no offer for a reduced price on a replacement. I remember really fuming at the folks. Then I got a different type of auto door. Same thing. Warranty runs out and it's broke. And big $$. My present auto door is a ChickenGuard. Love it! Love it the most -- why? Cause it too broke -- folks gave me a deep discount to buy the replacement. And it's much cheaper than the others. It is true, the other doors were heavier. And that meant more predator proof. Also means, the darn door can hurt a bird cause it's so darn heavy. Please know - they ALL mis-fire on the closing at some time or other. In my case, it usually happened when it was frigid and it seems some ice kept the the door from closing. Same for opening. I have found the girls still in the coop at 9AM on occasion. I have cameras on my doors. I check every night via camera if they are closed. I have cameras in the coop and in the run. I know if one doesn't make it in. Most folks will not have that. Truly, if I didn't have a way to actually SEE that the door closed, I would not buy one cause I'd have to go check it every night and every morning so might as well open/close it myself. I love the auto closing doors. I love the ChickenGuard and would choose it over the Pullet Shut. I love my cameras. Again - without the cameras I would not do the doors. One chicken owner's opinion.....

I just got the Ador1 with extra 12' sensor wire because I will be installing it inside. Should be here this week
Emailed RON there and he was Great !
I have a thread like this https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-did-your-auto-pop-door-work-over-the-winter.1223669/

What I like is that I can control the delay for open, it is a sprocket open/close system (no wire) and will stop a racoon from opening the door
I don't have an automatic door; never have, and don't know that I'd want one, for a few reasons:
They're expensive
The mechanisms are subject to breakage
Depending on the strength of the mechanism/motor, I can envision the door getting stuck open or closed by ice accumulation.
A manual door requires at least two trips to the coop every day; great time to monitor water/feed levels and check on the welfare of the birds.

I actually got something done today ! :wee yeah I am a procrastinator most of the time during Winter.

ADOR1 auto door came Friday. Saturday it was too cold.
Today was a nice 45 F outside and after taking the morning to shower and get out to do some shopping (mainly to get outside) I tackled the install of the Ador1.

Was easy !. My opening is not 100% flat flat all around. The bottom right side is a little less then the rest.

All in all, took me about an hour of taking off the old door, fiddling with boards to build up the top section and leveling it all off. Connect the battery and the long Sensor, stop hens from coming in and out. Maybe another 15 min of finding the New NEST they made outside and taking it away :mad:.

Works well opening and closing.
Inside install with 12' Sensor up and out the roof corner.

I am not sure if I had put it in manual mode (most likely) or it was open for straglers but i ran out just as it was getting dark dark and had to shut the door. I think I reset it and will see what time they go out in the morning.

NO ONE cared that there was a 'new door' They were more mad at me to keeping them out while I had to put it all on. They HAVE to be in the coop if I am in there cleaning or what not.

I actually got something done today ! :wee yeah I am a procrastinator most of the time during Winter.

ADOR1 auto door came Friday. Saturday it was too cold.
Today was a nice 45 F outside and after taking the morning to shower and get out to do some shopping (mainly to get outside) I tackled the install of the Ador1.

Was easy !. My opening is not 100% flat flat all around. The bottom right side is a little less then the rest.

All in all, took me about an hour of taking off the old door, fiddling with boards to build up the top section and leveling it all off. Connect the battery and the long Sensor, stop hens from coming in and out. Maybe another 15 min of finding the New NEST they made outside and taking it away :mad:.

Works well opening and closing.
Inside install with 12' Sensor up and out the roof corner.

I am not sure if I had put it in manual mode (most likely) or it was open for straglers but i ran out just as it was getting dark dark and had to shut the door. I think I reset it and will see what time they go out in the morning.

NO ONE cared that there was a 'new door' They were more mad at me to keeping them out while I had to put it all on. They HAVE to be in the coop if I am in there cleaning or what not.

I had the Ador1 and was very happy with it. I used a cheap battery charger to keep the rechargeable battery I bought up to snuff and it worked well. The only thing to watch for is the groove at the bottom of the door catches chips and stuff and that will make the door re-open. If you clean it every now and then it is a great door.

Back
Top Bottom