Advanced bumblefoot in duck ankle

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
IMG_0257.jpeg

My pekin duck walks on his ankle because of a disability. I had noticed this pus filled lump on his ankle 3 days ago, it’s been the same since then and I’ve had to wait because of lack of supplies to dress his wound. This photo is after I’ve attempted to remove the scab that was originally on it and im almost sure I got it all but the pus still has no exit route to drain and I’ve tried to also poke it with a sterile needle and a bit of blood came out, that’s about it. Im not sure what to do I could go to a vet but it’s beyond expensive for ducks in my area im leaving for a trip TOMORROW and im trying to figure this out now because this was an unexpected family trip. I don’t want to have to leave this for another week. Should I lance it? If so, how? I don’t know what im doing at all just any guidance at this point would be a blessing

That does not look good. At this point a vet should put him on antibiotics and open the ankle up to get out the infection, If you leave it and it spreads into the bone or blood stream it will be too late to help. I'm sorry but the looks of this means it's serious.
If you feel confident enough to lance this then go online there are videos showing how to treat bumble but then who is going to care for the wound while your gone on vacation?

Do you know or can you contact anyone who has pigeons?
When the costly foot dip that we used to use became unavailable, my wife found that Coli-Stop pigeon pills were the same antibiotic.
We mash up one pill with some ointment and it's typically one and done!
Don't know where she bought it, but here is a link for reference.

https://www.acepigeons.com/general-bacterial-infections/dac-coli-stop-50-tablets
Please explain what you mean by mashing up the pill and mixing with some ointment
what kind of ointment? Give by mouth or use topically? @Pollo Blanco

Does the ankle always have that giant bulge due to the deformity? Must be so hard for the duck :( Looks like you are already on your trip now. I was going to recommend this epsom salt poultice which I have been using to for bumblefoot to draw the infection out. Slather it on, then cover with a piece of gauze and wrap with vet wrap and change it every day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...crid=FBUW43SP5910&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt+pou

Does the ankle always have that giant bulge due to the deformity? Must be so hard for the duck :( Looks like you are already on your trip now. I was going to recommend this epsom salt poultice which I have been using to for bumblefoot to draw the infection out. Slather it on, then cover with a piece of gauze and wrap with vet wrap and change it every day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...crid=FBUW43SP5910&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt+pou
Just got back from my trip it hasn’t gone down any. I’m wondering how this would work, do I have to pull the scab off to actually open the wound to draw out the infection with it? It seems like if I just put it on the abscess it won’t do much if it’s not an open wound :( I’m trying to line up a vet visit but I’m willing to try anything before then

Just got back from my trip it hasn’t gone down any. I’m wondering how this would work, do I have to pull the scab off to actually open the wound to draw out the infection with it? It seems like if I just put it on the abscess it won’t do much if it’s not an open wound :( I’m trying to line up a vet visit but I’m willing to try anything before then
You're going to have to open that. It's likely going solid and will need to be removed.

Yes, there will be blood.

Afterwards, consider. Making a protective pad for the leg so this doesn't happen again. Maybe use corn pads and petwrap.

Back
Top Bottom