Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
Well USPS has let me down. Today's Guaranteed delivery by 3pm did not happen:he. Last update my eggs left Kentucky at 4pm their time. 1pm California time. It's now 9:20 pm California time, and still no update. My 2nd batch of shipped eggs is expected to arrive tomorrow. So hopefully I can pick them both up at the post office at the same time. Cross your fingers for me!:fl

Well USPS has let me down. Today's Guaranteed delivery by 3pm did not happen:he. Last update my eggs left Kentucky at 4pm their time. 1pm California time. It's now 9:20 pm California time, and still no update. My 2nd batch of shipped eggs is expected to arrive tomorrow. So hopefully I can pick them both up at the post office at the same time. Cross your fingers for me!:fl
how frustrating!

:barnie

:fl Fingers crossed that it all times out!

It's Day 14 - super excited to candle the remaining eggs: Svart Honas, Appenzeller Spitzhausens, Silver Sebrights and a Cream Legbar/Olandsk Dwarf cross. Because the breeders shipped extra, the amount left is closer to the amount I was planning on hatching.

One egg has a blood ring, and is going out. Two more are almost certainly done, and I'll probably toss them tomorrow after a re-check. The only remaining egg from the original Olandsk-Legbar cross looks uncertain, but two of the little eggs from the following generation look okay, so I may get to see what those hybrids are like.

Although I'm looking at no more than a 40% hatch rate, I feel happy that I have a couple of viable eggs from each breed. It's a little crazy to have to incubate nearly 30 eggs to get 4 hens, but between the perils of shipping and the reality of cockerels, that's kind of how it's working out.

Last edited:
Did you get a girl or boy? I love my bielefelders since they are sex-linked :)

I am thinking boy...This one is much darker than my previous bielefelder males and doesn't have the very distinct white dot on the head though.

Attachments

• IMG_3940.JPG
    IMG_3940.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 15
It's Day 14 - super excited to candle the remaining eggs: Svart Honas, Appenzeller Spitzhausens, Silver Sebrights and a Cream Legbar/Olandsk Dwarf cross. Because the breeders shipped extra, the amount left is closer to the amount I was planning on hatching.

One egg has a blood ring, and is going out. Two more are almost certainly done, and I'll probably toss them tomorrow after a re-check. The only remaining egg from the original Olandsk-Legbar cross looks uncertain, but two of the little eggs from the following generation look okay, so I may get to see what those hybrids are like.

Although I'm looking at no more than a 40% hatch rate, I feel happy that I have a couple of viable eggs from each breed. It's a little crazy to have to incubate nearly 30 eggs to get 4 hens, but between the perils of shipping and the reality of cockerels, that's kind of how it's working out.
40% isn't bad for shipped eggs. I am planning somewhere between 25-50%. Once they actually get here.

Back
Top Bottom