Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
So here is my first bielefelder chick from the shipped eggs. At least one success! (Sorry for the horrible picture...it is hard to see through the incubator window)

Attachments

• IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 21
Day 13.

I did a quick candling and 7 out of the 8 eggs look pretty good, much larger dark areas than on Day 10. The 8th egg was one of the orpington's with the big saddled air sac. It still had a sizable dark area and veining, but didn't look as far along as the others. I didn't see movement, but I wasn't looking at them for more than a second or two. Smelled ok, so I left it in the bater. Will check everything again when I lock down in a few days.

I can't believe lockdown is only a FEW days away. :eek:

In a little over week I will know how this adventures ends.

From everything I've been told you should just toss the plugs.
I just couldn't throw them away but I did hide them in the box.
What I can't understand it why the heck they include plugs if they are worthless to begin with.
Waste.

I want to share my success and offer some encouragement.

I was so nervous going into lockdown, I almost didn't want to be there for the hatch. My quail eggs had a rough time getting to me: five of fifteen were cracked (but three of the cracked ones survived), half the air cells were wonky (but everyone pipped in the right spot) and it took three days for the non-cracked eggs to hatch (but they ALL hatched).

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with incubating, and shipped eggs only add to that list. BUT there is always the chance that things will go right. It's so important to remember that it works most of the time. For everyone facing losses and setbacks, please don't give up on hatching and raising your birds, however you're doing it. To everyone with new fluffy chicks, congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom