Advice Appreciated-

SSegger

Hatching
May 1, 2015
South Louisiana
I bought 4 Golden Comet chicks ( 5 weeks old) from my local farm supply. I noticed when i got home that one of the chicks has what looks like an eye infection. Called the farm supply and they told me that the chick probably had some bedding in her eye and that I could flush her eye with Visine until it cleared up. Have been flushing for a couple days and it hasn't improved. I still have all four quarantined from my other chickens for precaution. None of the other 4 GC are showing any sign of a problem. Any other advice would be appreciated as to what I should do?

Can you post a photo of the chick and the eye? There are several things that *could* be going on to cause eye related symtpoms to be showing, and the steps to be taken and level of concern for this chick and the rest of your birds will vary.

In the second photo there is a droplet of liquid at the end of her beak. Had you just washed her to take the photo or is this a clear discharge leaking down, possibly from her nares?

Yes. I had just flushed with Visine so I think that is what is on her beak. The only discharge I have noticed is clear though and has small bubbles in it.

You shouldn't use Visine. It has some pretty awful stuff in it. Use sterile saline. I had a chick like this once. I, like you, thought Visine was a good choice. I told my vet what I was doing and she said "no wonder it isn't getting any better". I found, with my chick, that he just could NOT be on pine bedding. I don't know if it was an allergy or what, but once I started putting him out during the day I noticed that his eye would get better during the day and goop up at night. After a couple of weeks on shredded straw, he was fine. I doubt this is the case with your bird, however, as it would likely be both eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visine#Adverse_effects

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Visine. I'll switch to saline solution today. I have not put any antibiotic in it at all yet. Is there some form of an eye drop with an antibiotic that I can buy that is safe for chickens

Back
Top Bottom