Advice needed. Running around like a chicken with...

You'll need to refrigerate her while you figure out if sending her for a necropsy is what you're gonna do...

I can't swear to the following prices, but it **looks like** https://labs.cvm.msstate.edu/Portal/catalog/list?CatalogSearch=necropsy&lab=1 has a price list for necropsy under 200 pounds, $50 & their CVM Diagnostic Laboratory, results in 4 weeks, give or take, dependent on ancillary tests.

If this still stretches the wallet too thin, you could do a so-so necropsy at home. It would involve opening her up yourself to examine her internal organs. Should you elect for this option, let me know and I'll post a link to some youtube videos on the procedure to help you.

Will support whichever decision you come to, professional necropsy, at home necropsy, or even no necropsy.

Again, my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Focus on getting her in and where you can help her first, and I’m sure some knowledgeable people will be along soon to help. It doesn’t need to be pretty or perfect, a cardboard box can work for starters. And a bathroom is usually a good place, counters, water, good lighting, and easy to close off!
Thank you! Her spot is ready, it is really warm(Mississippi heat in old house) but I have air circulation, not sure if that matters.

All I have on hand is Vet RX, Oxine, Diffusers, and love. Can't afford the vet outside of my town. no avian vets sell antibiotics, unless I bring them in and they have all told me, they don't know about fowl.

I feel your pain on the vet situation, we are in a similar boat here... have you been able to smell her breath? Or open her beak? Maybe get some pictures and anything else you can describe better.

Was she adjusting her crop like there was something stuck in there? Crops can feel squishy with other problems such as being egg bound or other reproductive problems. Can you give her some water with electrolytes? Gatorade or Pedialyte will do in a pinch. Dog crates or a laundry basket or box are great for separating a chicken, and put food and water inside. Check her for egg binding by inserting a finger into her vent 1-2 inches (use a disposable glove if you have one.)Here are some links for helping you decide if you are treating a crop problem:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/[/QUOTE Thank you all!! Still running around getting things ready. She is in a crate with me, clean water and yogurt. She thew up clear liquid on my arm when I brought her inside. running to store to get pediasure. I do have more back story with another baby I lost but will have to wait till I get birds settled. All info, comments welcome!! PS, It is warm where she is. really warm is that okay? Should I put a mister/diffuser by her?

no, completely still. stood by the water stands for a long time. took some pics, trying to figure out how to share them. they don't show anything to me. she is just so stinkin still. not moving, slow to close eyes every once and a while. The comb looks nice. she just doesn't want/can't move?? She did vomit clear water-ishy stuff on me when i was bringing her upstairs.
I bet she has sour crop! That sounds very similar to my hen and she passed away a few days ago. If i can find it i will attach an article that another member posted on my thread that helped alot

I know the clear watery vomit is not a good sign... did she get tilted forward/tipped her head down when you were moving her. I think* (I don’t know much) that I read somewhere once about them accidentally breathing in the liquid and drowning if they are tipped. Not to scare you... just a recollection.

Back
Top Bottom