Advice on a flock with bloody your poop please!!!

CKC Coop

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
I am worried sick about my flock right now and would appreciate any advice anyone might have for me. I noticed the first signs of bloody poop Sunday morning and began researching the net for possible reasons. It seemed that cocci was a common condition when bloody poop is discovered so I bought some Corid at our farm supply store. I debated over and over about whether or not to treat or not. Everybody was acting fine, eating and drinking normally, so I just didn't know. As it ended up, I did not treat Sunday. I decided to call the vet in the morning thinking he might want to do a fecal float test first. So Monday morning I call and he says it sounds like Cocci to him and to start Corid. He did not suggest a fecal float test. Wow! I thought...exactly what I thought. So I started Corid around 10:00. Unfortunately and to my great regret though I had a really lethargic hen who treatment didn't start in time for and she died within 30 minutes of me adding Corid to the water. She never even got a drink. I hate that I didn't start it the night before. Throughout the day Monday I noticed 2 other hen's not acting normal, not active and walking slowly. I forced their beaks into water to make them take some drinks and put the more lethargic of the two in the basement for the night. She had bloody poop that night, but by morning no more blood, still pretty calm though and not drinking much. I need up putting the other hen with her last night because she was still low energy and I saw a bloody poop from her yesterday evening. Though there is less poop with blood since starting Corid, I have still seen some in the coop. Shouldn't it have cleared up by now. Some sites say it should in 24 hours and my flock has been on it for 48. My vet said give it a few days, but he is not a poultry vet. Now I am paranoid and thinking a couple more of my flock are seeming to act run down this morning. Or maybe I am not paranoid and something is being missed. I am now afraid of the consequences if this isn't cocci and I am wasting valuable treatment time for something else. I called the USDA and they seemed to just assure me it was not avian flu, which I really did not think it was anyway. I left a message with a vet at the U of I but haven't heard back. cocci surprised me a bit because we have not added new birds to our flock and our birds have free ranged for a year now and I thought that would have given them immunity to the parasites in our soil. It has been hot and wet though so I just believed that was the key factor. Does anyone have experience with cocci, Corid, bloody poop, etc. that could be of any help. Thank You!!!

Corid liquid or powder? Are you using the correct dose, which is 1.5 teaspoons powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon?

Make some medicated water and add it to some crumbles, that will probably help a bunch. The key is getting them to drink enough of the water, and mixing it in their crumbles will help.

If you have any that aren't drinking, you can also give an oral drench. Powder or liquid, let me know which one you have and I'll let you know how to give it.

-Kathy

Kathy,
I have the 20% soluble powder. My vet said 1 tsp. per gallon...so maybe I'm not giving enough. I am going to make a stronger batch up now and do what you said about adding some of the medicated water to the crumbles. Thank you so much for your help!

Kathy,
I have the 20% soluble powder. My vet said 1 tsp. per gallon...so maybe I'm not giving enough. I am going to make a stronger batch up now and do what you said about adding some of the medicated water to the crumbles. Thank you so much for your help!

The dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon with 9ml of water and give 0.075ml per 100 grams orally. Note that the oral drench dose is 0.075ml per 100 grams, *not* 0.75ml, so it should end up being just a few drops per 100 grams. :D

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom