1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on Chicken That Can't Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by la babs, May 6, 2016.

1. la babs

la babs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi Folks I have a rescue Legghorn between 2-5 years old. She was standing around w a droppy comb not eating. I just dewormed. Her abd is distended. I isolated her. She was not eating for several days. Would take eyedropper electrolytes, water and abx. She has now completely perked up. Eating and drinking, alert. But her tummy is still distended (soft). She can't walk. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, cancer, or ascites (water belly.) Those can be common illnesses in older hens. Hopefully now that she is eating and drinking, she will be able to walk soon. Feed her some egg or tuna, and put some water in her feed in a bowl to make it like oatmeal. Is her lower belly tight and full, or spongy?

3. la babs

la babs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you. It's spongy. I thought about trying to aspirated the fluid but when she was sicker but I'd probably kill her and she is very alert, earring and much better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by