Advice on roosts.

Homestead_Redd

Hatching
Sep 23, 2018
I built my coop out of mostly scraps because I wasn't sure if we'd end up liking and keeping them.
It's 8'x6' and 8' tall in the front and falls to 5' in the back. The only thing I've got is a 2x4 across the middle to hold up the hanging feeder and waterer. My chicks are about 5 weeks old and I've got them a Rubbermaid container with bedding to keep them warm for now.
I've got 3 barred rocks and 3 orpingtons that were pullets, then 4 straight runs that I'm not sure what they are. I probably will not have more than that.
LHiqlLj.jpg
T3V1BQj.jpg

I made it so that I can move it around the yard with a sled I made, so it doesn't have a bottom. I'm going to close in the front and sides before winter. But I'd just like some advice on the roosts. I want to keep them away from the sides so that I don't have to worry about any raccoons or possums reaching in. I just don't know if I should go up like a jungle gym or keep it below nest nest boxes.

If your roost is below the nest boxes they will roost in/on the nest boxes. They will naturally seek out the highest point.

You mention wanting to keep them away from the sides, which makes me think of this sort of roost I've seen online...

b4f6fd9be3d377c9adcba30a664c5441.jpg

Put your location in your profile it makes difference on the answers you get due to different weather patterns.

You don't want to close the front top and side tops during the winter they need the ventilation.

Chicken wire will only keep the chickens in and not protect them from predators.

Toss the dividers and move the nest box down well below the roost height. I assume you want them to poop on the ground then you move the tractor around your yard, if so make sure the nest box is not anywhere near the roost.

Large overhangs on the sides and front will do a lot to protect them during rain/snow times.

JT

I agree with jthornton, best bet is to drop the nest boxes closer to ground. If you put a top on the nest boxes you can then put the roost partially over it, either lengthwise or crosswide, depending on # of birds (you want roughly 12" per bird in roost).

Since you mentioned raccoons and possums you'll need to reinforce the wire. Chicken wire is not predator proof at all. A layer of welded wire top to bottom for strength is probably the best bet here.

Back
Top Bottom