Advice please. Baby Blue Copper Maran not thriving

ShannaES

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Newhall, California
I have a 1.5 week old Blue Copper Maran chick that is not thriving. One chick passed the other day so I'm on day 3 treating all of them with Corid. I tried egg yolk but but it wasn't interested. Is there anything else I can try for this little one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-103634_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20220312-103634_Ring.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14
A bit more info would be helpful. What kinds of symptoms are the chicks displaying? Have you tried offering a vitamin/electrolyte supplement? Are their vents clear and are they pooping normally?
The rest of the chicks are acting normal, foraging, eating, drinking, etc. The little maran is still pooping(a tiny bit of blood, hence Corid treatment), vent is clear. It's drinking and eating some but spends most of it's time under the heating plate with it's head down. Should I give it some Nutri Drench? I wasn't certain with the Corid water.

Condolences on the loss of your chick. :hugsI'm afraid I missed your question about Nutri-Drench and Corid, so I'll provide an answer in case it's helpful to someone in the future.

The short answer is no, Nutri-Drench should not be offered while treating with Corid. The reason is that amprolium, the active ingredient in Corid, works by blocking thiamine uptake (it's a thiamine uptake inhibitor) in the coccidia protozoa; Nutri-Drench contains thiamine, so it would be counterproductive to administer both at the same time. This post has a discussion on the topic.

Condolences on the loss of your chick. :hugsI'm afraid I missed your question about Nutri-Drench and Corid, so I'll provide an answer in case it's helpful to someone in the future.

The short answer is no, Nutri-Drench should not be offered while treating with Corid. The reason is that amprolium, the active ingredient in Corid, works by blocking thiamine uptake (it's a thiamine uptake inhibitor) in the coccidia protozoa; Nutri-Drench contains thiamine, so it would be counterproductive to administer both at the same time. This post has a discussion on the topic.
Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom