advice please for neighbor's chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsejody, Apr 30, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My neighbor just e-mailed me. The night before last the last of her chicks hatched. The baby wasn't hatching and was way over due, so she helped it hatched. The chick was fully formed and the yolk absorbed. The baby has curled toes and a weak neck. I told her how to make a baby boot for the weak toes. I worry that the weak neck might indicate a vitamin deficiency. I have some poly-visol. Would we be able to give it one drop a day, or is that too much for such a small baby?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Why don't you move this over to Emergencies. You may get a faster answer. I'm sorry I can't help you.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Good idea. I posted it there too. Thanks.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i had a chick(dum-dum) that was born like that, i mean with a weak neck. the first day and night he wasnt able to lift his head, wasnt much better the second day either. I put him in with the others and kept him watered and told him to either make it or die. well he made it , has a microcephalus with a weird lunp on his head, is dumber than the average chick and a bad coordination. But he is alive and walking and the neck is normal. this chick in question is just worn out and tired, keep it comfy and hydrated. Its a 50/50

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by