ADVICE PLEASE...SHOULD I PUT THIS PULLET DOWN?????/ UPDATE RIP SCARLET

Go for it.
Ooooops not the putting down part, but the rehab part.
If there are no breaks or other serious damage, then it is a matter of time before her legs come round.
Hey you tote her round in your purse, for goodness sake. Whats a few days in rehab gonna hurt?
Its not like you have fifty hunnerd other ones. Give her a chance, I say.

Last edited:
All hens and all injuries are probably different. I had an injured hen that could not walk. It took her six days to show enough improvement to move her to a larger outside cage. Another three days passed before she barreled out of that cage while I changed her water. She started freeranging and walking and running perfect. When she first got injured she could not take a single step without falling.

The flock reintegration was very smooth. I let her go back to the coop and run when she decided to. She ran in while I was feeding the rest of the flock 10 days after her injury. The other chickens did not bother her and she is on the top roost. She seems to have no problems getting down and that roost is 7 foot high. I was kind of nervous when she rejoined the flock because the rooster was very happy to see her. It was a nasty injury in her back from his spur that crippled her.

Quote:
you're almost there. You need to put the pic url (the place on the web where the pic is hosted) between the the tags.
Then the BYC system will know where to go and retrieve themn so it can display them.

12476_dscf0301.jpg

I had a baby chick (6 weeks or older) do the very same thing. However, my chick was better the next day. It sounds to me that your pullet has done way more damage because I think it should have been healed by now.

Okay that is too funny. A chicken in traction!

Well its no wonder she wont put any weight on it - I wouldnt either with everything right there. When do the deep Shiatsu-mud massages start?

Put that silly bird in a pen somewhere and let her recoup as she oughta. You do get points for clever, though.

I wanted her to see out the window!!! Sunlight = vitamin d right? She also goes out to visit the others with me each day...............in my purse. LOL

Seriously Dave, if I just put her down she rolls over and peeps frantically.

This is cool........now I know how to post pics.........thanks everyone!!!
wink.png

Quote:
I saw that in your other pic and commented there.
I retract my comment. You seem to be a clever gal and have things well in hand. I suspect youll do what your gut tells you to do - and it will be right. Listen to it.

If she has to go down, there are other chickens. Dont ask me how I learned this.

Back
Top Bottom