ADVICE PLEASE...SHOULD I PUT THIS PULLET DOWN?????/ UPDATE RIP SCARLET

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I have a dilemma here and I don't know what to do.

My rir pullet sustained an injury Tuesday about noon. She was down with her right foot caught in chicken wire I put down on the inside perimeter of my run to keep out predators. ( now gone )

Well, I got her foot out, took her to the vet and have been nursing her ever since. Right now she is dangling from a harness on the bottom rung of a bar stool to try to get her to move her legs and excercise them. She peeps all night and I get up to turn her from side to side. Otherwise she is eating real good and drinking lots of Pedialite.

Here's my questions

How long would you think it would take for her to heal and bear weight.

If she doesn't heal........what's the most humane way to put her down ( no more vet bills pls )

If she heals will the others accept her back in the flock?

She is starting to act like a house pet.........constantly wanting to be held etc.....is this good?

Some of you may remember my post the other day where I said I took her shopping because I had cabin fever. Now, I am really, really getting the fever and little sleep. But, I really to want to do the RIGHT thing for Scarlet.

Any Advise would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Only her right leg was injured, correct? From what you wrote, it sounds to me that she isn't bearing weight on her left foot either? If this is so, I would look for further injury or consider that she is giving up.

Time amount to heal depends on the severity of the injury and if it gets infected or not.

If she heals without any disability they should accept her back-there maybe some squables first. If she has a disability, they may not.

As for being spoiled a little-what will it hurt? Nothing. She may even be a little more friendly when it's all said and done!

And I've save it for last, because I hope you don't have to use this info, a quick humane way to put her down is chopping her head off. I know others use different ways so maybe they can chime in on this.

One thing I would do is put the wire down on the outside of the run to prevent something like this happening again.

Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear about Scarlet's injury. It certainly sounds like you are going above and beyond to help her and I hope she'll be ok.

I can't answer your other questions, but it's been our experience that we can't put an injured/then healed hen back in with the others without them all trying to hurt her again. Others have probably done it successfully, but we haven't. So now the banished hens are spoiled and roost in the garage at night and free range the yard during the day. Maybe if all your chickens range together, then incorporating her back into the flock might be ok.

Good luck to you and Scarlet -

She is not bearing well on the left leg either. Vet took xrays and no breaks anywhere but severe bruising.

Wings work.

Very peppy and eating and drinking well........poo looks good.
I do pt with her like range of motion and let her hang for awhile to put some weight on legs.

I am sort of tied up with this bc I can't leave her alone or she just flops on side and can't get back.

I never knew a chicken could be so cuddly.

However, I am tired and really stuck here.

Thanks for the response

Quote:
The bruising would acount for it! I know it gets tiring rehabilitaing an injured animal but, hang in there. Have you tried letting her sling down so she is laying on the floor but, is proped up? Maybe that will allow you more freedom to get out.

Quote:
The bruising would acount for it! I know it gets tiring rehabilitaing an injured animal but, hang in there. Have you tried letting her sling down so she is laying on the floor but, is proped up? Maybe that will allow you more freedom to get out.

Nope but I will right now.......such a simple idea.......why didn't I think of that??? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom