Advice please

Plymouths

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
IMG_2656.jpeg

We were out at the doctors and come home to find her on the dog bed in the carport.
The dogs have been left alone with them in frontyard before.
We seem to think our dogs have plucked her feathers out.
No wounds .
Just a bit off blood were her feathers are pulled out. We also have 2 cats and there is a stray cat hanging around as we are on a farm.
Just looks like he pulled out a lot off her feathers.
Her back and sides and wings are bold and her skin is so red.
We have put chloromide antiseptic spray on her.
She is in the lounge room in a box .
She has had some bread and egg yolk with vitamin e
Strange thing is our dogs have been raised with chicks and chickens for over 4 years.
Not once have they done anything like this before.
This girl here is a small breed we’re our other chickens and standard size and the dogs are always with them and nothing happens to them.

Could it be because she small.
Or we had a friend bring his dog over and his dog started to chase our small ones in front yard.
Would our dog copy his dog’s behaviour?
As it happened they next morning when we were at doctor’s.
Or something else?
She is currently resting and eating and drinking.
Will her feathers grow back.
I feel so awful this has happened to her.

Last edited:
I have a sweet Sapphire Gem hen. She walks around with her tail feathers down. I looked at her one foot and it has a callous on it which makes it hard for her to roost. I noticed she had scratches on her belly, and the scratches are pretty much gone since I started cleaning it with antiseptic wash and applying Absorbine Silver Honey rapid wound repair. She’s eating and drinking and laying eggs. I feel like the callous is a contributing factor. The callous looks like maybe a bumble foot that sort of healed over and became a callous that prevents her from roosting as she should. Any suggestions?

@Plymouths lift her wings and look under there for any wounds as well. If you can offer her water to sip and make some watery chicken feed mush for her several times a day, that would be helpful. When a predator goes after a hen, they can sometimes cause internal injuries. If she just has missing feathers, those will eventually grow back in, but sometimes it can take until the next molt. Let us know how she gets along. Welcome to BYC.

I have a sweet Sapphire Gem hen. She walks around with her tail feathers down. I looked at her one foot and it has a callous on it which makes it hard for her to roost. I noticed she had scratches on her belly, and the scratches are pretty much gone since I started cleaning it with antiseptic wash and applying Absorbine Silver Honey rapid wound repair. She’s eating and drinking and laying eggs. I feel like the callous is a contributing factor. The callous looks like maybe a bumble foot that sort of healed over and became a callous that prevents her from roosting as she should. Any suggestions?
Welcome to BYC. Can you copy and paste your paragraph to a new thread of your own here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/
We are trying to help the one who started this thread first.

@Plymouths lift her wings and look under there for any wounds as well. If you can offer her water to sip and make some watery chicken feed mush for her several times a day, that would be helpful. When a predator goes after a hen, they can sometimes cause internal injuries. If she just has missing feathers, those will eventually grow back in, but sometimes it can take until the next molt. Let us know how she gets along. Welcome to BYC.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom