Advice Please!

BarrerasDucks

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Corbett, Oregon
Hi all!

I just got a 2 month old Toulouse Gander. I have three 2 month old Ducks (Rouen, Cayuga, Pekin).

Questions....

1 - When and how do I introduce her to my yard and will she be hard to get in at night? She's really skiddish
2 - She is trying to be nice but my ducks are lunging at her. How long does the Pecking order take to work out.
3- Will she get tame like my ducks if I handle her often. She's 2 months already. I hope it's not too late! :/

Thank you guys!
J.R.

Hi all!

I just got a 2 month old Toulouse Gander. I have three 2 month old Ducks (Rouen, Cayuga, Pekin).

Questions....

1 - When and how do I introduce her to my yard and will she be hard to get in at night? She's really skiddish
2 - She is trying to be nice but my ducks are lunging at her. How long does the Pecking order take to work out.
3- Will she get tame like my ducks if I handle her often. She's 2 months already. I hope it's not too late!
hmm.png

Thank you guys!
J.R.
Don't let them beat him up. intro need to be done slowly with fencing between resident ducks and newest flock member. Once they have lived side by side maybe less than a week maybe longer then begin to let them be together while your there so no one gets picked on too bad. Is your yard fenced in? water fowl herd real well if you walk behind them slowly and guide them with your arms or poles where you want them to go.they learn pretty quick what you want. Best way to get him use to his new surrounding is make her life as stress free as possible, spend time with him, and give something yummy that he really like to eat, geese love water melon, chopped Romaine, chopped kale a couple of mine love dried meal worms. Geese aren't one to like to be handled and if he wasn't from time he was hatched he may never want you to touch him but I find just sitting and being with mine is very soothing. I can handle my geese if I have to but I don't try picking them up and cuddling them. I can do that with my dogs. As he gets use to you and his new home he'll warm up more and more.

Welcome to BYC

Hi all!

Questions....

3- Will she get tame like my ducks if I handle her often. She's 2 months already. I hope it's not too late!
hmm.png

Thank you guys!
J.R.
I hate being picky but you say you got a "2 month old Toulouse Gander" but then you consistently refer to it as she. You are aware that a gander is a male? Other than that ditto everything that Miss Lydia suggested. Sorry for being picky.

Thank you Miss Lydia!

I separated them but now the weird thing is tonight 9pm west coast they are all laying next to each other. Do they work things out that fast?

I'm sorry I said Gander and she is a goose. I have one drake and two ducks and the main issue is my one Pekin duck. She is the dominant one of the group. I will keep them separated and introduce them slow. Thank you very much again!

I spent a lot of time with them today and why would the thigh of our new goose be bigger on one side then the other? Is this normal? I don't know the history of her for the last 2 months. If she were mine as a baby I wouldn't worry about anything because my birds are very well cared for to say the least. I just am worried about this new girl. The person I got her from just had her thrown in the back yard with a bunch of other waterfowl. My family is a little more "one on one" if you know what I mean. She is also 8 weeks and 3/4 the way feathered. I have only duck experience and at 8 weeks they are 100%. Has she lacked Niacin???? Only thing I can think of....

FYI you guys are great!

I hate being picky but you say you got a "2 month old Toulouse Gander" but then you consistently refer to it as she. You are aware that a gander is a male? Other than that ditto everything that Miss Lydia suggested. Sorry for being picky.
He isn't sorry about being picky either he was just being polite. lol
wink.png

I spent a lot of time with them today and why would the thigh of our new goose be bigger on one side then the other? Is this normal? I don't know the history of her for the last 2 months. If she were mine as a baby I wouldn't worry about anything because my birds are very well cared for to say the least. I just am worried about this new girl. The person I got her from just had her thrown in the back yard with a bunch of other waterfowl. My family is a little more "one on one" if you know what I mean. She is also 8 weeks and 3/4 the way feathered. I have only duck experience and at 8 weeks they are 100%. Has she lacked Niacin???? Only thing I can think of....

FYI you guys are great!
I think you'll need to post some pics of what your seeing.
Such a shame when they don't get one on one when young, I got one at 4 months who had been on pasture with 4 others I've had her 3 yrs almost and although she isn't as skittish as she was when I got her she is the least trusting of my 4 the one hatched here the other 2 I got as 2 day olds.Sounds like she may have a nutritional deficit and need some extra help. Brewers yeast sprinkled on her feed and some good quality poultry vitamins added to her water should take care of anything nutrient wise along with grazing and good quality feed. It's amazing what some TLC can do.

I don't think it will take much for the other ducks to welcome her as part of them but letting them get use to each other through fencing keeps the new one from being picked on too much.

Last edited:
I'll upload some photos and maybe a video tonight guys,

I have them out in the yard being babysat by my neighbor (Older, Retired, Divorced). We both have acreage but our houses are right next to each other so she is supervising them while the kids are at school and my wife and I are at work. She called me this morning and said that my Cayuga Duck and Rouen Drake are laying with her (Smellma the Goose) but my Pekin Duck is still trying to pull feathers occasionally. My Pekin was the one I anticipated having the biggest issue with because when the Wild Mallard Drakes come across the road from the other neighbors pond my Pekin will put the beat down on them.

I will stop by and get some stuff for her tonight like Miss Lydia suggested. I feel like I rescued her. The lady I got her from just throws her Geese and Ducks out by her pond so she had yard ornaments. When one gets taken she gets another...some people do not deserve these animals!!! They are pets like dogs and cats to me IMHO!!

Back
Top Bottom