Advice rooster that can't walk (update! with pics)

Chickenlover88

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2007
Dallas, Georgia
My old teacher from the high school that I graduated from called me today and begged me to take a rooster off her hands. He is a frizzle turken and has no use of his legs. Some info about him, he belonged to a student and was dropped off when he went on "vacation" and never picked back up, he was living in a flock with a few other roosters and a couple of hens at this students house and he was at the very bottom of the pecking order and picked on and kept away from the food, he was extremely skinny when she got him but now he has gained a little weight, he eats vigerously and seems happy, he just can't walk, he flops around. Is there any chance for him? I'm going to pick him up tomorrow to see what I can do for him. He is fully grown and crows up a storm. He is just handicapped, he can move both legs but his toes seem kind of curled up.

Last edited:
neurological symptoms and paralysis are associated with several nutritional deficiencies... could also be something else however his history would indicate this is the problem... There is a complete poultry nutritional/vitamin supplement called Avia Charge 2000 that you can order from McMurry or strombergs... in addition to that I would give him five drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens vitamins) once a day for a week and then taper off) ... also additional vit. E which might be best in this situation to give through WHEAT GERM OIL (you can get this at a healthfood store> mix it through his feed). Do not give layer rations as this has too much calcium...give a grower or starter mash and mix some cooked oatmeal through it (cooked in water> add the vitamins and a tsp of wheatgermoil to this and then mix enough feed into this to make "clumpy" > a Cornell univ. paper explained that the cooked oatmeal aids in digestion/absorption of nutrients from feed). Good Luck!!!!

Thank you so much! I will head out and get as much of that stuff as I can today. I picked him up. He is perky and eats well so hopefully he will regain use of his legs. The problem is I believe that he has no muscle mass in his legs and is unable to stand. I felt his legs and they are just like bones they are so skinny.
P1010001-12.jpg

P1010002-15.jpg

P1010004-15.jpg

P1010005-7.jpg

P1010006-12.jpg

P1010012-17.jpg

P1010015-15.jpg

P1010017-9.jpg

P1010021-6.jpg

P1010022-12.jpg

P1010024-8.jpg

P1010026-4.jpg

P1010035-7.jpg

P1010041-8.jpg

P1010042-3.jpg

His feathers are so ratty because he was picked on so bad by his flock.

Last edited:
neurological symptoms and paralysis are associated with several nutritional deficiencies... could also be something else however his history would indicate this is the problem... There is a complete poultry nutritional/vitamin supplement called Avia Charge 2000 that you can order from McMurry or strombergs... in addition to that I would give him five drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens vitamins) once a day for a week and then taper off) ... also additional vit. E which might be best in this situation to give through WHEAT GERM OIL (you can get this at a healthfood store> mix it through his feed). Do not give layer rations as this has too much calcium...give a grower or starter mash and mix some cooked oatmeal through it (cooked in water> add the vitamins and a tsp of wheatgermoil to this and then mix enough feed into this to make "clumpy" > a Cornell univ. paper explained that the cooked oatmeal aids in digestion/absorption of nutrients from feed). Good Luck!!!!
Hi... do you have any idea who sells Avia Charge 2000?? I have a 3 month silkie that need a vit boost.. went to the vet and now I am tube feeding.. she need more B vitimans.. Her toes are curling and will not eat.. she had xrays, does not have mercirk disease.. she is the only one out of the 7 that is having a problem... Please help

Back
Top Bottom