AE's "HOARDERS" CHICKENS on tonight's epsiode!

Such a horrible and sad situation people can allow themselves to fall into - I am not a emotional person and have thick skin but last nights show was truly sad.. The most touching moment for me was when the lady had removed a sick and starving chicken from a pen inside. She was holding the chicken in her arms and said "I may not be able to save or help all of these animals but I can change this chickens life - I can let him die in my arms instead of in that cage" which is exactly what happen the poor chicken died within the next few minutes...

at least he had a little love in his life..

Quote:
Ugh-this is why I can't watch this kind of thing.
hit.gif

While I understand that hoarding is an illness, it doesn't change the outcome of the behavior-still ends tragically in lots of situations.
Makes me want to start throwing stuff away(think I'll start with DHs stuff
big_smile.png
).

I participated in the Animal Planet show: Confessions: Animal Hoarding

A nice guy out in the Sacramento area had a TON of chickens inside and outside his house. While it was definitely unsanitary and not a very good environment for him or the chickens, it wasn't near as bad as the lady on that Hoarders show. I didn't see any sick, dying, or dead animals.

The episode I'm on: Animal Planet - Confessions: Animal Hoarding - Episode 1: Peter and Kitten Premieres Friday, Jan. 14, at 10 PM E/P
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/confessions-animal-hoarding/cases.html

That was the AC that is holding a guinea, not a chicken because of its sideway wattles. It was very touching!

Anne, the hoarding lady, does have some deep mental illness. Every effort that the cleaners want to do, is to throw the junk out of the barn. She yelled NO, nothing goes in the trash! Then he offered her to move all the items from one side of the barn so the goats can have a space and the chickens can have space. Again she said NO! Then she went off on them, cussing and yelling. Like that guy said, all noise and makes more noise so she can have it her way.

I don't like the feeding methods, just dumped in on their floor but I don't see any water troughs or bowls. Know those acqariums, totes and hamster cages? Yep they were in there, packed worst than the egg factory hens. At least the egg factory hens got better care than hers did. I noticed a couple of hatcheries chick boxes here and there and she saves those!

The poor goats, those poor babies! It's a wonder they didnt get amputation or gangrene. One was pregnant. Not much grass or hay out there and when she slapped/yelled at them simply because they do goat things while eating (shoving, butting, biting, putting heads in trough while she dumped the feed on top of their heads....they are JUST being goats!) I've had goats but never treated them like that. If I didnt want feed dumped on their heads while they had to get the first bite, I would have picked up the trough or pan, then put them down to eat. Jeez!

I do not know what's the update, if she got her place cleaned up, she got more animals (most hoarders would go back and get more animals once they get back home from treatments) and as for her daughters, it is NOT ok for Mom to deck them upside of the head or anything. I would have severed ties with her.

edit: Thank you Sonew, it was Hanna.....not Anne!

Last edited:
I just cleaned out my closet and have 2 trashbags full. One for goodwill and one for the dump. That show freaks me out. I've never been a saver, I didn't grow up that way. My motto is "when in doubt throw it out." My ex-husband was a borderline hoarder. I wouldn't let him keep anything in our house, but our extra wide and extra deep 2 car garage was so full of crap that the kids couldn't even keep their bikes in there. Before I moved I emptied the whole thing, except for normal garage stuff like tools. It took 14 trips to the dump with a full sized van! I left that house completely clean and empty, and I shudder to think what it must look like now. My son comes back from visiting him and says stuff like, "Daddy has stuff in my room" and "It's too messy there." I'm a bit of a neat freak and I've always taught my kids that if you don't use it you don't need to keep it. If I come across something I haven't used or seen in a year, I obviously didn't need it and it's gonna go!

Quote:
Its impossible to have "enough" chickens! I started with 6, now have 12! (one died though) Plus an incubator!

Of course it's possible to have enough chickens. It's also possible to have too many. When you have more animals of any type than you can take care of adequately, then you have too many.

Enough comes somewhere before that, at a point where you can take care of them WELL.

I think you must not have seen this show. This lady had a single wide trailer. In it, she had rubbermaid tubs and glass aquariums crammed full of birds. The tops were covered with oven racks and things of that nature to keep them in. To feed them, she dumped food in through the racks. The bottoms were so filled with manure that some of the birds could not stand up straight -- feet of manure in some of the Rubbermaids. These were stacked all over her (filthy) house.

Animals outside weren't housed much better, though at least they had fresh air to keep their lungs from getting damaged, too. There were goats, too, some of which were injured badly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom