Votes: 1 5.6%
  • They hate me with passion 😐

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Does any one else have ducks that are affectionate? If so, how do they like the attention?
My duck Sprightly, is VERY affectionate. She will quack until I come over, then if I lower my hand she runs over and puts her head into my hand. She LOVES her face being touched, over her head, her cheeks. She will go all sleepy just resting with a full face masssage.
My other girlie, Dougie, only likes her neck being stroked, though she still lets me touch her face. I figure that they both trust me quite a bit. I only pet them if they want, it's entirely up to them.
So I'm interested, how affectionate are your ducks? What behaviours do they show? Does anyone else have a duck that loves face massages? 😂

I will say we have 1 of our duckling that is more apt to us petting it. But I’m also pretty sure it’s either blind or has neuro issues…it will peep peep peep and then follow our voice and let us rub its chest/belly.

This is Donald. Donald is 3 weeks old (pekin/Rouen mix), half the veins had “disappeared” in it’s she’ll midway through incubation. Donald has a bald patch on its head and is def “off.” Donald is also a favorite of mine and my daughter.

Attachments

• 1819B155-8047-4AD8-A883-CB867F01736A.jpeg
    1819B155-8047-4AD8-A883-CB867F01736A.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 4
None of mine are affectionate, unfortunately. Most of them will come up to me when I have food but none of them want to be touched or held. ☹️
Oh well. I enjoy them anyway. Practically nothing cuter than a duck.
Very true!
I'll be adopting some ducks this year to expand my somewhat lonely flock of two girls- and I am very prepared that the newbies will NOT want face massages like my Sprightly 😂 Hopefully I'll earn their favour in time and they'll let me close, though, or else I shall admire them from afar!

I wonder how my two will be, a year from now, with new ducky friends-
I don't expect a lot, but hopefully they'll still want to be around me!
I think if you make a point to go out there and spend time with them every day, that will go a long way. I go out in the morning and then in the evening to lock them up. Some days, I have more time and can sit with them. When I was on leave from work, I spent a lot of time with them and that was when they were more comfortable around me.

Ours are basically jerks 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️That may stem from the fact I have children who like to snuggle them and instead of allowing the ducks to get comfortable with them and come to them they go to the ducks and have from the get go. I guess my husband included in that…ok they’re not actually jerks, they just don’t care to be bothered, they will follow up but don’t want to be touched. We have 4 adults and 4 babies. Unfortunately we went out of town when the babies were 2 weeks old and when we came back they aren’t as keen about us now as they were. (Predator instinct kicking in).

oh he is way too adorable! I hope he's okay despite his issues!
Seems to be doing well: eating, drinking, growing, POOPING 🤣smallest of the 4 siblings but still growing well. When it first hatched it looked like a solid yellow duckling and then I realized its “roots” were black (so looked like someone that dyes their hair blond and it was growing out 🤣) now with feathers coming in, Donald looks totally different. (Pic is from like 2 days old)

Attachments

• CD4F3808-53F2-43C3-8EEA-E10B83E4EC9E.jpeg
    CD4F3808-53F2-43C3-8EEA-E10B83E4EC9E.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4
I have 8 ducks three cayugas two of which are drakes. And then two blue swedish two Pekins one khaki campbell.
The Campbell doesn't mind being picked up too much my pekin ducks both don't mind being picked up or petted to much the blue swedish avoid me and the cayugas don't like me very much, none of my ducks like to be petted but if I stand out there with them for a little bit they will come over start nibbling on my shoes and my jeans. They will come to me if I have food. And Rose one of the blue swedish has even tried messing with my hair and almost poked my eye and had mud on her bill too, smh. I love my ducks and wouldn't trade them for the world.
One of my blue swedish has a messed up bill she absolutely hates being picked up. Anytime I pick her up she quacks as loud as she can and acts like I am trying hurt her, I only pick her up to check her feet and over all well being but she hates it so much I don't like picking her up that often because of it.:(
I really wish she would let me pick her up without acting like she does.
Here is a picture of Rose, she likes me when I have food though (she is skiddish even when food is involved) Rose likes to nibble on the belt loops on my pants when I crouch down and sit near them all, as well mess with my shoes. She isn't afraid to drive chickens and other ducks away from her food. She can be a feisty one that's for sure.
20220326_141331.jpg

Back
Top Bottom