After effects of some disease or infection.

ChickenJames

Chirping
Apr 9, 2018
So it has been a few months but I’ve never asked about it. All my chickens started having running noses and sneezing a lot. They got horribly thin even though I saw their stomachs were packed with food. I lost 12 Hmong chickens, 1 ISA brown, and 1 Ayam cemani to the infection. I gave them shots of penicillin because the situation was so severe. After the shots they all got noticably better. Symptoms showed after I put a box in the pen and they slept and pooped in it for a few days. I took out the box after seeing the turds. Does anyone know what this is or called? My Ayam cemani rooster is showing symptoms from before. The symptoms from what I see are runny nose, swollen eyes, massive pus forming in eyes which blocks sight, horrible stench, watery eyes, wobbly movement, and maybe a few days before some of my chickens died, they started to be very immobile and wouldn’t be able to flap their wings. They’re all better but I’ve isolated my rooster. Also I was getting back into the habit(when the disease started) of raising again because I use to have a coop but was torn down and I sold the chickens.

So it has been a few months but I’ve never asked about it. All my chickens started having running noses and sneezing a lot. They got horribly thin even though I saw their stomachs were packed with food. I lost 12 Hmong chickens, 1 ISA brown, and 1 Ayam cemani to the infection. I gave them shots of penicillin because the situation was so severe. After the shots they all got noticably better. Symptoms showed after I put a box in the pen and they slept and pooped in it for a few days. I took out the box after seeing the turds. Does anyone know what this is or called? My Ayam cemani rooster is showing symptoms from before. The symptoms from what I see are runny nose, swollen eyes, massive pus forming in eyes which blocks sight, horrible stench, watery eyes, wobbly movement, and maybe a few days before some of my chickens died, they started to be very immobile and wouldn’t be able to flap their wings. They’re all better but I’ve isolated my rooster. Also I was getting back into the habit(when the disease started) of raising again because I use to have a coop but was torn down and I sold the chickens.
Where are you located in the world?
Do you have photos?
From your description, IF I had to take a guess, your rooster likely has Infectious Coryza. There are several respiratory diseases with similar symptoms so without testing, it would be hard to know.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Whichever illness you are dealing with, it's contagious and from your post, your birds are relapsing. Respiratory illnesses make birds carriers for life, so they can become symptomatic from time to time, especially when stressed (molting, flock changes, maturing/coming of age, sharp weather changes, etc.). Keeping a closed flock is best practice, this way you don't spread disease to others.

I agree with Wyorp Rock and Azygous: Coryza, the horrible smell is a giveaway. Treatment is a sulfa drug, preferably sulfadimethoxine (need script from vet) in combination with tylan 50 or baytril.
Your other option is to cull, disinfect everything with oxine and repopulate in about one year.
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I also recommend that you practice strict biosecurity.

WOAH THIS CONPLETELY DESCRIBES THE CONDITION WITH THE CHICKENS. Always thought it was pretty normal for bubbles to form in the morning because I thought it was a weird way for them to wake up.

Back
Top Bottom