Age to live outside?

iBoodle

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Idaho
I have 2 almost 9 week old chicks, and they are way too big for their box. It is about 40-50 degrees out every night. Can they sleep outside in their coop with towels wrapped around to keep out the wind?

Thanks!

iBoodle

Most definetly!! You could have moved them out when they were fully featherd at 5 weeks!!
smile.png

Oh geez. Can you tell this is my first time raising chickens?

My mom won't be happy to know they could've moved out 3 weeks ago, and their mess could've gone with them!
tongue.png

Thanks!

mine went out at 6weeks they are now 8 weeks and in the big coop with my big chickens and are doing great and growing fast
smile.png

LOl...I have 3 Tetras that are almost 5 weeks (fully feathered) and 3 GLWyandotts 4week olds still molting.. they go out by day and I bring them in at night. I also have 6 wee ones only 6 days old that I put them in with at night with a screen on top of their pen. Came down yesterday morning and darned if the bigger gals hadn't knocked the screen off and ALL 6 of the bigger ones were standing down by the steps looking at me when I came down yesterday morning. LOL
lol.png
so I decided to try a "follow the leader" and opened the back door, shook their food bin and they followed me out to their "day" cage.

Their coop is still under construction but hope to be done and livable by next weekend. We heard coyotees last night so that is why I hesidated leaving them out maybe another night.
smile.png

Well...most of you aren't saying where you live and what the night temp is there. I have 6 wk. old chicks and they are fine with no heat light during the day...but at night with temps down to 40....I have still had on the lamp. I need some reasurrance it is ok for them with no heat. What's the verdict?

Quote:
I am doing the same thing, though mine were peeping quite loud last week when I tried no light for awhile. I also am trying to teach them to go "home" at dusk. I thought a light would encourage them, but tonight will be the 4th night I have to put them in there. Hopefully they will learn soon! LOL

I didn't put mine outside till 10 weeks old because the weather has been testy here. A couple nights ago we got a frost, as the temps dipped below freezing. When they are fully feathered, they can handle cool temps, but I preferred to wait till it was milder to let the little girls out. I live in NH so I'm pretty northern.

Well...we had frost a couple of times last week....I think I will keep turning it on at night another week. They are fully feathered now...but North Michigan has erratic weather and I might as well keep it on at night. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom