Aggressive chicken won’t let others lay

Beloved Turkey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
I have a chicken who sits infront of one of our laying spots and every time a chicken goes on too lay she attacks them and chases them out. This is resulting in cracked eggs because of the fighting, and some of my chickens are getting stressed because they can’t lay in their normal spot. I’ve thought about isolating her so she can chill out but our isolation pen is currently inhabited by a sick chicken and I don’t want to put her in a dog kennel. Any one have ideas on why she’s doing this and how to help it. I thought maybe she’s protecting eggs that she’s laying in there but I don’t know.

Some chickens are more likely to bully others. I think isolating her is the best option, so there can be peace for everyone else. It also may help to straighten her out.

Is there any reason why the dog crate won't work? Weasels can get in most dog crates, so you need to make sure it is somewhere they can't get.

Some chickens are more likely to bully others. I think isolating her is the best option, so there can be peace for everyone else. It also may help to straighten her out.

Is there any reason why the dog crate won't work? Weasels can get in most dog crates, so you need to make sure it is somewhere they can't get.
There’s no reason, the dog kennels I have have are a little smaller because usually I use the isolation cage

I have a chicken who sits infront of one of our laying spots and every time a chicken goes on too lay she attacks them and chases them out. This is resulting in cracked eggs because of the fighting, and some of my chickens are getting stressed because they can’t lay in their normal spot. I’ve thought about isolating her so she can chill out but our isolation pen is currently inhabited by a sick chicken and I don’t want to put her in a dog kennel. Any one have ideas on why she’s doing this and how to help it. I thought maybe she’s protecting eggs that she’s laying in there but I don’t know.
How old are these birds(in weeks or months) and did they all grow up together?
How many birds in how big a coop(in feet by feet) and how many nests???
Pics of nests might help here.

How old are these birds(in weeks or months) and did they all grow up together?
How many birds in how big a coop(in feet by feet) and how many nests???
Pics of nests might help here.
There are 13 birds, we don’t know exactly how old the chicken who is guarding the nest is because she is a rescue, but she should be over a year or towel, while the chickens who are being kicked out of the nest are 8 months and have been in the coop for about three or four months, but there haven’t been any problems before now. There are enough nests for them to move onto different ones, and we are currently working on installing more but it needs more work before we do.

If your current dog crate are too small, maybe see if you can borrow a larger one (or buy one if it's easier). I have a dog crate, a dog exercise pen, and a brooder that I can use to lock up chickens if needed... never had to use all 3 at once but it's good having options, just in case.

Separate the bully, maybe just during prime laying time?
We have a similar situation in our small flock. Our top pullet was also guarding the nest boxes from the others trying to lay. We thought maybe resetting the pecking order would solve the problem. In the past week, we separated her for 3 days in a kennel attached to a grow out coop, away from the flock.
We needed to spend another day with the crate in the run to reintegrate her back into the flock, as we had a new leader. There was some chasing still the 2nd day, so we added clutter to the run to break the field of vision. Unfortunately, our bully is back to her old ways, when the new leader isn't looking.
We have a camera on the nest boxes during peak laying hours, and for now, separating the bully seems to be our only option. At least until the others get into their routine.
On a side note, our new head hen is very supportive of her laying buddies. She has been found singing the egg song on the roost cheering them on :celebrate Good luck!

We have a similar situation in our small flock. Our top pullet was also guarding the nest boxes from the others trying to lay. We thought maybe resetting the pecking order would solve the problem. In the past week, we separated her for 3 days in a kennel attached to a grow out coop, away from the flock.
We needed to spend another day with the crate in the run to reintegrate her back into the flock, as we had a new leader. There was some chasing still the 2nd day, so we added clutter to the run to break the field of vision. Unfortunately, our bully is back to her old ways, when the new leader isn't looking.
We have a camera on the nest boxes during peak laying hours, and for now, separating the bully seems to be our only option. At least until the others get into their routine.
On a side note, our new head hen is very supportive of her laying buddies. She has been found singing the egg song on the roost cheering them on :celebrate Good luck!
Maybe rehome the bully ( or have a nice chicken soup) and keep the peace in the flock.

Maybe rehome the bully ( or have a nice chicken soup) and keep the peace in the flock.
We are going to try putting a curtain at the door of the coop to see if that keeps her from noticing them in there. Her behavior has improved, but we were hoping for better results. This is our first flock, she was our first chicken to lay and is a very social bird with her people. If all else fails, we will be looking to rehome with full disclosure. I have many chicken keepers on my delivery route, so I will be checking around.

Back
Top Bottom