Aggressive chicken

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
This may sound like a dumb question, but after three years of having chickens this is my first experience. My sweetest chicken has become aggressive within the last week to the point of making a few of the other chickens bleed. She’s the oldest and the queen bee. I’m very aware of the pecking order and there have been instances of pecking but nothing as violent as what has happened even this morning. She’s torn two other feather babies combs this morning. I’m at a loss of what to do because she’s never once acted like this. I’ve cleaned and treated the other birds. She’s separated for now. But she was always my baby and now…. I won’t lie…. I’m a little broken-hearted…. She’s 3, an Easter Egger, has not laid in probably 3 months. Which she’s never been the greatest layer but other than the aggression, she’s eating and drinking and normal. Any thoughts are appreciated. My husband says it’s time for her to go if she’s going to be like this 💔

Yes keep her separated. But also watch, sometimes aggression started with other chickens and then possibly you. Normally hens don’t do this, but I have had a couple hens and heard of some hens doing this.

Are they all the same age? Did you introduce any new birds recently?
Hello. I have three that are 3, two that are 2 and four that are nine months. So nothing new She literally flipped a switch and went from sweet and calm to attacking others. She eats and drinks and otherwise acts normal.

Update

She was isolated for over 48 hours. I let her out and she immediately jumped on another chicken’s back and was biting her like crazy. I separated her again. Now what?
Do chickens just turn aggressive out of nowhere? 😢

Keep her super isolated from any other hen? Sounds like she is hungrier because the winter and also she needs to be dominated by a rooster. We are actually going through the same thing right now...

Back
Top Bottom