Aggressive Drake

EmilyP

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2016
Elberton, Georgia
This is a repeated thread I'm sure, but I'm not sure what to do!

My pekin/WH mix drake has gotten progressively more aggressive over the past 2(ish) months. He is 7 months old. He has already drowned his mother (WH) (we are 90% sure he was the culprit judging by how he mates the pekins) and brutally chases our mallard female (not the male so much, he chases him away as much as he can) to the point where she is getting chased coming up to the pen at night (have to hold p/wh to get her in the pen) and is spending the entire night on top of the house where he cannot get to her. He does not bother our two pekin females. It seems to possibly have gotten worse since our WH is gone.... HELP!! my husband is ready to shoot him :-( my attachment is that his parents were so sweet and he is all we have left of them.

Sorry to hear that you have what I call an aggressive drake, or a bad boy! I really don't blame your husband for feeling the way he does.
IMHO, there's not much you can do about it, except for separating him from the ones he would harm. As always, please refer to the experts here. You should know who they are.

I had a Drake that was aggressive also...I tried many things...He was human and dog aggressive...I gave him to an all Drake home and he has never attacked anyone there..You can try separating him, although he could act worse once he gets back with the ladies...
Best wishes....

If you really want to keep him, i'll echo the rest and try separating but to be honest their are many 'nice' drakes out there and i wouldn't want one that wasn't and that is coming from someone who now mainly owns nothing but drakes since the fox(coyote) turned to my farm for some fine dining.

Back
Top Bottom