Aggressive female towards male duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JessWolo, Aug 15, 2019.

1. JessWolo

JessWolo In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    Hi all! Looking for some opinions. I have one specific female runner duck that is constantly chasing, biting at, and pushing out of the flock a younger male runner. This just started happening today. Prior to, she used to always be by his side, and me and my husband used to joke they were dating. Everything I've tried to look up, has always been males aggressive towards females, but this is the other way around. We have other males, that she doesn't give any attention to.

I am wondering why she may be doing this, and how to proceed? They all share the same house and run at night; and like I mentioned, she only started this today and they have been best buds previously to this.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    How much younger is the male? my female sometimes attacked my drakes, she was rude when she was younger, they might be bored, not enough greens, nutrients? @Miss Lydia might be able to help.

WannaBeHillBilly and quackiemama like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

That’s good questions how old is the drake? She maybe just putting him in his place. My Female Muscovy has to put my young Runner drake in his place when he became of age.

4. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    My older pekin does that to my young muscovies, considering, might be the problem.

5. JessWolo

JessWolo In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    The female was born September 2018, so about 1 year and the male May of this year, so about 3 months?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Is she attacking him?

7. JessWolo

JessWolo In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    She’s always making sure she is in between him and the rest of the flock, then biting at his neck and charging at him. And when he is laying down with the other drakes, she always has to be by him. It’s almost like she’s being over protective of him? But is being mean about it - so strange

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

I think your just going to have to let them work it out as long as she isn’t injuring him. They have their own way of doing it.

9. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I wish i had a duck to quack up to my younger Buff-Orpington drake (6 months old)!!!
    He was so bad today that i had to "throw" him into the drake jail.

quackiemama likes this.
  10. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    @Miss Lydia - Is that a drake in jail in your avatar picture?

quackiemama likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: