Aggressive rooster - little hen seems traumatized

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsClucky, Sep 9, 2008.

1. MrsClucky

MrsClucky Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    One of our young roosters has just recently starting crowing and mating with the hens. We have one hen who is older than the others and about half their size. She seems to be the one the rooster finds the most alluring. But whenever he approaches her, she runs for her life! And when he finally catches her, he is very violent with her. Her little head is smashed into the dirt and her feathers all get askew. He seems to really crush her and bite her neck. This morning she was so distressed she would not even eat any peas. That's a favorite treat! I'm a chicken novice so this may be normal but when he mates with the other hens, it doesn't seem to trouble them. There's some squawking and flapping but it's not violent.

Also, he is occasionally making a half-hearted leap for me when I come into their pen. Someone told me to pick him up and carry him around as much as possible and that will help solve the problem. I am and it has worked so far. But I'm wondering if anyone has any other advice?

Thanks!
    Bea
    6 chickens, 4 goats, 4 dogs, 5 cats... and counting

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Find a safe place and keep him away from her. I have several of my smaller ladies where the roos can't bother them, it's not worth them being traumatized and not even wanting to eat. She's just too small for him and it will end up hurting her too much.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You might want to make or buy a chicken saddle to lessen the damage, or dissuade him altogether. Or get rid of him. A roo should be a gentleman . I wouldn't keep one that's not.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    When my easter egger roos got like that they ended up in the crock pot! >:}

He goes for her because she puts up the least resistance and she's probably low on the pecking order. He wouldn't do it so much if she bowed up to him and brought him down a notch or two.

I've seen it happen, it's always the hen who runs instead of standing her ground. Best thing to do is as the others have mentioned, put her somewhere he can't get to her or get rid of him.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check out my page on roo behavior.

The link is in my sig line.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would keep the poor hen separated ~ or the roo. In any case, she needs a permanent break from that kind of treatment! Poor gal!

BTW, do you need the roo? If so, you might want to consider upping the number of hens so no one gets too much of his attention. He should be able to manage 10 - 12 hens.

7. MrsClucky

MrsClucky Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    Thank you all so much for your good advice!

8. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    seprate him or send him down the road be the best thing for you.. [​IMG]

9. FeatheryFriend5

FeatheryFriend5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Good Afternoon to the Backyard Chicken community,
    I may be experiencing a similar problem.
    A few days ago, one of my barnevelder's had a limp (no doubt resulting from our Plymouth rock rooster), so she's been staying in her coop all day and refusing to eat. Anyway, I was just wondering, although she has seemingly healed, she has yet to leave the coop. Is there a possibility that she's afraid of Mr Barry (the rooster)?
    Thanks! ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by