Aggressive rooster - little hen seems traumatized

MrsClucky

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Silverton, OR
One of our young roosters has just recently starting crowing and mating with the hens. We have one hen who is older than the others and about half their size. She seems to be the one the rooster finds the most alluring. But whenever he approaches her, she runs for her life! And when he finally catches her, he is very violent with her. Her little head is smashed into the dirt and her feathers all get askew. He seems to really crush her and bite her neck. This morning she was so distressed she would not even eat any peas. That's a favorite treat! I'm a chicken novice so this may be normal but when he mates with the other hens, it doesn't seem to trouble them. There's some squawking and flapping but it's not violent.

Also, he is occasionally making a half-hearted leap for me when I come into their pen. Someone told me to pick him up and carry him around as much as possible and that will help solve the problem. I am and it has worked so far. But I'm wondering if anyone has any other advice?

Thanks!
Bea
6 chickens, 4 goats, 4 dogs, 5 cats... and counting

Last edited:
Find a safe place and keep him away from her. I have several of my smaller ladies where the roos can't bother them, it's not worth them being traumatized and not even wanting to eat. She's just too small for him and it will end up hurting her too much.

Last edited:
You might want to make or buy a chicken saddle to lessen the damage, or dissuade him altogether. Or get rid of him. A roo should be a gentleman . I wouldn't keep one that's not.

When my easter egger roos got like that they ended up in the crock pot! >:}

He goes for her because she puts up the least resistance and she's probably low on the pecking order. He wouldn't do it so much if she bowed up to him and brought him down a notch or two.

I've seen it happen, it's always the hen who runs instead of standing her ground. Best thing to do is as the others have mentioned, put her somewhere he can't get to her or get rid of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep the poor hen separated ~ or the roo. In any case, she needs a permanent break from that kind of treatment! Poor gal!

BTW, do you need the roo? If so, you might want to consider upping the number of hens so no one gets too much of his attention. He should be able to manage 10 - 12 hens.

Last edited:
seprate him or send him down the road be the best thing for you..
D.gif

Good Afternoon to the Backyard Chicken community,
I may be experiencing a similar problem.
A few days ago, one of my barnevelder's had a limp (no doubt resulting from our Plymouth rock rooster), so she's been staying in her coop all day and refusing to eat. Anyway, I was just wondering, although she has seemingly healed, she has yet to leave the coop. Is there a possibility that she's afraid of Mr Barry (the rooster)?
Thanks! ^^

Back
Top Bottom