Wonderling

Songster
Mar 25, 2018
Oregon
My big rooster got pretty protective once he got his hens but he's getting even more so lately. He only has 2 hens, would getting more hens for him help? I figured maybe he's being overprotective since he only has the 2 and if he had more he'd mellow out a bit. I was thinking I might just get a mixed batch of pullets from the hatchery and introduce them to his flock once they're big enough. Maybe 4-6 more? How many hens per a rooster seems best?

Right now he stalks me across a half acre just to try and get me, even leaving his hens way the heck over there. He's not actually good at attacking, just bites onto pants and tries to flap you to death but it's still alarming since he always tries to sneak attack you and he's pretty big. Other than the aggressive part he takes good care of his hens and he's super handsome so I'd rather keep him around if he can mellow back out again.

I do have another polish rooster but they never meet directly, always a fence between them. The other coop has 3 bantam hens.

Personally, I have 7 chickens with one rooster. He is aggressive but only when I approach him and his chickens IF I let them outside to free range for the afternoon. Other than that he is calm. My suggestion is to get more chickens 6 would be fine. Also to remember the climate you live in. For me, it has been warming up so it’s that one of season again if you know what I mean, and not to worry to much. That’s all I can really suggest mabye someone else knows more.

Personally, I have 7 chickens with one rooster. He is aggressive but only when I approach him and his chickens IF I let them outside to free range for the afternoon. Other than that he is calm. My suggestion is to get more chickens 6 would be fine. Also to remember the climate you live in. For me, it has been warming up so it’s that one of season again if you know what I mean, and not to worry to much. That’s all I can really suggest mabye someone else knows more.
I have been letting them free range on and off, but he's not happy about me approaching the coop when they're in there either. There has been a heat wave over the last week or so, that might have played a part, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestions.

My big rooster got pretty protective once he got his hens but he's getting even more so lately.
How old is he?
How long have you had him?
Has he always been aggressive?
Sounds like soup to me, I would not put up with that behavior.
The number of hens he has means nothing.

There is a difference between “protective” and human aggressive. In my opinion, a good protective rooster keeps an eye out for real threats and sounds an alarm when a threat is perceived. A good, protective rooster is smart enough to know the difference between a predator and The Bringer of Food.

When he’s attacking you, your rooster is not doing his job. You can get him as many more hens as you want, but it’s unlikely that it will change his behavior.

How old is he?
How long have you had him?
Has he always been aggressive?
Sounds like soup to me, I would not put up with that behavior.
The number of hens he has means nothing.

He's a rogue that showed up after I got my polish rooster. We named him Dundee since he showed up on a walkabout. I tried to find where he came from but no one claimed him so I kept him since she was rather shy and very handsome. I'm realizing now that I need to see about replacing him soon since I avoid going out in the yard when I have them out just because of him.

Back
Top Bottom