Aggressive Rooster

At first when we first got Crush he never attacked me unless i picked up a hen.But ever since we moved him and the hens to there new fenced in area he has been extra aggressive with me and the hens. Right now i have him separate from the hens just to insure that he does not harm them anymore.When he used to attack or try to attack i would block him or tell him in a very forward voice to back off and he normally would but now he just keeps coming. i really don't want to have to put him down or give him away unless there really is nothing i can do.

At first when we first got Crush he never attacked me unless i picked up a hen.But ever since we moved him and the hens to there new fenced in area he has been extra aggressive with me and the hens. Right now i have him separate from the hens just to insure that he does not harm them anymore.When he used to attack or try to attack i would block him or tell him in a very forward voice to back off and he normally would but now he just keeps coming. i really don't want to have to put him down or give him away unless there really is nothing i can do.
The poor wee girls would probably love to have a time out from him if he "pays them too much attention" :-o

Try reading some of the link I posted for your perusal ;)

There's your sign!

Slow down a minute and look at what chickcanoe has in bold above. I have had problem described by you and it can be fixed or at least prevented with subsequent roosters.

Yes he used to attack me for holding hens.But now he attacks me for just changing there water or giving them food or just standing in there fenced in area. I haven't handled my hens unless i have had to since he started being so aggressive.

He may or may not have become aggressive if you hadn't held his hens in his presence. But now that the deed has been done and the behavior set in stone, he'll taste just like chicken. Since he is mature and has been exercising his muscles, just make sure you let the meat rest for several days before freezing or eating.

I will not be killing my first rooster because it's in his nature to be aggressive or because somehow i messed up and made him aggressive but i came on here asking how i can help him / show him whos boss without hurting him.Some of you have been helpful so thank you very much. But just constantly telling me i need to kill my rooster is not helping me. I would literally try anything so he no longer attacks me but if there is nothing i can do i guess i will keep him separated for now.Until i find a better answer.

I'm sorry if my posts offended you. I realize keeping large flocks of chickens as livestock is much different than keeping a few pets. Culling is absolutely the most difficult part of my responsibilities as an animal husbandryman.
Keeping him housed separately with occasional conjugal visits sounds like your only option unless you want to carry the snow shovel around.

Back
Top Bottom