Aggressive rooster

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
I was wondering what you guys thinking on dealing with aggressive roosters? I have three 15 week old Anconas that are in a large pen by themselves, with no pullets. They aren’t aggressive to me but I tried putting my 15 week old Cochin pullet with them for a minute and they pecked are her and I think tried to hurt or mount her. They are already crowing to maybe they just are desperate to want to mate? How do I make them not so aggressive towards my pullets?

Introducing one lonely pullet into a pen with three adolescent cockerels? Bad idea! Of course they mobbed her!
Are you keeping these cockerels? Will they be introduced to a flock of adult hens, or to young pullets only? They are a team right now, and how are you going to manage your flock? Do you have a flock?
How about more information about your entire flock, or your plans going forward?
Mary

Introducing one lonely pullet into a pen with three adolescent cockerels? Bad idea! Of course they mobbed her!
Are you keeping these cockerels? Will they be introduced to a flock of adult hens, or to young pullets only? They are a team right now, and how are you going to manage your flock? Do you have a flock?
How about more information about your entire flock, or your plans going forward?
Mary
Actually, 2 months ago I separated them from the rest of my flock of pullets to be with my ducks. I am considering introducing them to some hens and seeing what happens. I want to sell 2 of them and keep 1. Yes, I do have a flock and overall J have 50 chickens. Remember, not everyone on here is super experienced with chickens. I’m still learning and this is my first year showing, also I have had hens and a few Roos for awhile. Thank you for the input.

I wasn't being difficult, just wondering. I think that cockerels raised in a multigenerational flock develop better social skills, so mine are raised with the adult hens and roosters. It works for me! I like to keep possible 'keepers' as long as possible, so their temperaments develop, and it's easier to see who's best.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom