Air cells on wrong end of fertile eggs!

If the bleeding has stopped, just leave it alone for a good few hours, it should heal up fine. If it hasn't, I sometimes just throw a pinch of pepper on the spot and stick them right back. It's a quick coagulant when I don't have purpose-made things on hand. I've had to do it twice now and both chicks have healed up fine and lived. Just check on it again later today/tomorrow and clean/treat it if it's still open-looking at all. The best thing for him is to halt any bleeding, then give him lots of time to rest in the incubator.

It's not actively bleeding now, but it still a red mass and also the semi dried up yolk sac is hanging to a thread like cord still connected to the chicks navel.

Does that have anything to do with the bloody navel?
I've got neosporin ready to apply on the area, is that a good idea? And when should I apply it. For now it's moving about chirping in the entire incubator taking laps, literally.
And keeps moving towards me when it hears my voice. It's still very wet and even after 3 hours hasn't dried up.

It's 5 am and I've been up all night. Should I let it be and get some shut eye then check on it later when I get up? Or is that not safe to do.

It's not actively bleeding now, but it still a red mass and also the semi dried up yolk sac is hanging to a thread like cord still connected to the chicks navel.

Does that have anything to do with the bloody navel?
I've got neosporin ready to apply on the area, is that a good idea? And when should I apply it. For now it's moving about chirping in the entire incubator taking laps, literally.
And keeps moving towards me when it hears my voice. It's still very wet and even after 3 hours hasn't dried up.

It's 5 am and I've been up all night. Should I let it be and get some shut eye then check on it later when I get up? Or is that not safe to do.

How’s your baby doing now? I put a tiny bit of neosporin on one of my hatched ducklings who had a similar issue. I also fed that one some poly-vi-sol (*without* iron) for potential wry neck and to give him a boost. He is healthy and happy today!

How’s your baby doing now? I put a tiny bit of neosporin on one of my hatched ducklings who had a similar issue. I also fed that one some poly-vi-sol (*without* iron) for potential wry neck and to give him a boost. He is healthy and happy today!

That's reassuring, when I woke up it's cord and yolk remains had detached and it's navel was maroon/red sort of dried. So I put neosporin on the area and transferred it in the brooder.

Tried to make it drink. It doesn't want to, just wants to cuddle up in my hands and sleep, since it's been constantly peeping all night and morning long, I think it's tired now.

It's pecking at the paper towel under it, in between him dozing off every 30 seconds, so I sprinkled some starter feed, he tried to peck at it and it just asleep now with his head on the feed haha.

Oh and his mother, I tried to introduce them and she just went and tried to bite his whole head off! I was mortified and the poor chick came running into my hand and wouldn't stop crying. :/

This is a current picture of him (p.s I think it's a him because he looks like a him and his comb is pretty prominent.

JPEG_20190217_133509_5674950855185098826.jpg
JPEG_20190217_133529_8730061124207321224.jpg
JPEG_20190217_133549_2291798982842110931.jpg

It's gonna kill me with it's cuteness I'm telling you <3 :D, my first ever hatch, I feel like a proud mother :').

I just want him to be healthy and strong. I hope nothing I did harmed him, I also read that a bleeding unhealed navel is due to high incubation temperature, so it's basically my fault? I had a huge problem with my thermometer and hygrometer, they were completely off during lockdown.

JPEG_20190217_133821_2174379738524295274.jpg

It's gonna kill me with it's cuteness I'm telling you <3 :D, my first ever hatch, I feel like a proud mother :').

I just want him to be healthy and strong. I hope nothing I did harmed him, I also read that a bleeding unhealed navel is due to high incubation temperature, so it's basically my fault? I had a huge problem with my thermometer and hygrometer, they were completely off during lockdown.

View attachment 1676045

Aaawwwww!!! It is so cute!

Very cute - are there other eggs hatching too?

Yes there were 3 eggs. I had a problem with the thermo-hygrometer, it was far off and because of that the hatcher had a lot of fluctuations so this was the only one that survived I guess and hatched right on time.

The others have no action. I think they got overheated. :(

So the chick seems to be doing okay. It spent the whole day sleeping mostly and waking up on and off, more sleeping than waking up. It's super drowsy and when it falls asleep in standing or on it's front, it shakes it's head and suddenly or jerks up and backwards into a standing position.
Has balance issues and won't eat or drink on it's own, giving water with a dropper.

Is this all normal? For a day 0 chick? I guess I'm more worried because it's just one, if there were others I'd be able to compare and know for sure.

Also, it's navel is now dark brown but just a while ago I noticed a white mass too, been applying neosporin throughout the day. Should I be doing something else?

So the chick seems to be doing okay. It spent the whole day sleeping mostly and waking up on and off, more sleeping than waking up. It's super drowsy and when it falls asleep in standing or on it's front, it shakes it's head and suddenly or jerks up and backwards into a standing position.
Has balance issues and won't eat or drink on it's own, giving water with a dropper.

Is this all normal? For a day 0 chick? I guess I'm more worried because it's just one, if there were others I'd be able to compare and know for sure.

Also, it's navel is now dark brown but just a while ago I noticed a white mass too, been applying neosporin throughout the day. Should I be doing something else?

Newly hatched poultry can still be absorbing the remainder of their yolk sac. With it only being a day, he should be okay but, again, I only have ducks. I’ll defer to our chicken experts for the final say on this. Your baby is SO cute

Back
Top Bottom