ALABAMA!!

Kimberly,
It may just be the camera angle, but your Dorking's look big for nine weeks! I am curious though. Did you say you had red Dorking and dark red Dorkings? Did you actually order them as two different colors, or did you get a mix when you ordered red Dorkings?

Thank you! How are your babies doing???? Did you get a 2nd batch of eggs?

The silver greys were delivered as day olds, February 11th. I don't have a ton of experience with chickens (mostly ducks and geese), but the NPIP lady also commented on how big they are. They are also "fluffy", but when I picked them up, they are quite heavy. I would think meaties should be that way?

What does stand out is their ability to forage on those short tree trunk legs. So far, I really REALLY like them. My 4 week old reds seem to be afraid of me this week, but I have less time to spend talking to them in their brooder as spring progresses, and have more goslings to look after. Oh and the puppy. Geez....the puppy.

Silver grey, red and white are the most "normal" colors. The "colored" may only be recognized in England although I'm not sure on that. I don't plan on showing and will breed for type first. I want huge birds that make you say "wow". I prefer the darker colors but that can come later.

Last edited:
Those are great looking birds Kimberly! I'm very interested in the heritage breeds myself. I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama though and so I'm picking up buff minorca's right now. I'll have my own bird pics for everyone soon!

Hi Anna welcome from Perry Co. and
welcome-byc.gif

As I was on the phone with Verizon the gentleman was telling me the closest stores when he got to Tuscaloosa he could not pronounce it. I asked if he watched football he said yes some. I said have you ever heard of Alabama you know the current national champions. yes they are located in Tuscaloosa. sadly I just could not resist a roll tide.

Okay, Peeps! It's show time!

The Alabama Chicken and Egg Show is this weekend and we need to plan when and where to meet. I have never been there, so if I make the call, it will be some place arbitrary like the entrance to the Poultry Show at 11:00am on Saturday and Maybe a meet-up for supper Saturday night. Do any of you have a better place, time, or idea? I am supposed to be getting the BYC banner and some handout materials, but it hasn't arrived yet.......we'll see.

Who all is going? When are you all getting there? Where are you staying? Was anyone wanting to go but couldn't find a room?

Maybe next year, Wisher. This month has been packed with doctor's appointments, and thus, fiance's days off are all filled up with less fun activities
hmm.png

(Baby man is getting his hearing aid Friday!)

Back
Top Bottom