Alarm call?

Feb 13, 2021
This is my dominant hen sweet pea. I do not have a rooster, but she makes this sound when she sees “danger”. Usually it’s more high pitched like a really fast purring sound. She saw the neighbors and I thought this was a danger call but not I’m not sure. I’ve been listening to YouTube danger calls that chickens make abs they do not sound the same. I’m not sure if I did this right with the link but I hope you can hear her. I had to go to the app, the video is the last slide. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcO4EPjuVX8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
This is my dominant hen sweet pea. I do not have a rooster, but she makes this sound when she sees “danger”. Usually it’s more high pitched like a really fast purring sound. She saw the neighbors and I thought this was a danger call but not I’m not sure. I’ve been listening to YouTube danger calls that chickens make abs they do not sound the same. I’m not sure if I did this right with the link but I hope you can hear her. I had to go to the app, the video is the last slide. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcO4EPjuVX8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Can you upload it to youtube and post the link here? I can't open this because I don't have instagram.

A high pitched purring/trilling sound like the one you describe is them telling their flockmates to be quiet. They do a very soft version of it when they are getting ready to sleep, and a much louder and more shrill version when they've seen/heard danger or are suddenly on alert. But the kind of alert that requires them to be quiet and not be seen by the predator, which is different from their other alarm call, the one that sounds like the egg song, which does the opposite - raise as much ruckus as possible so that everybody in the neighborhood hears that danger has been spotted. So the trilling alarm call is the "lay low and hide" alarm call, and the other one is the "warn everybody far and wide" alarm call. They each have their function. You can easily test the trilling one, it's actually kinda fun to watch and convenient if you ever needed them to shut up :lol: Wait until they are very talkative and busy and making lots of noises, then make the sound yourself, loudly - "KRRRRRR!" (helps if you can roll your R's!) and you'll see them all freeze in place, dead quiet, necks craning up. It's the chicken STFU button :D

Can you upload it to youtube and post the link here? I can't open this because I don't have instagram.

A high pitched purring/trilling sound like the one you describe is them telling their flockmates to be quiet. They do a very soft version of it when they are getting ready to sleep, and a much louder and more shrill version when they've seen/heard danger or are suddenly on alert. But the kind of alert that requires them to be quiet and not be seen by the predator, which is different from their other alarm call, the one that sounds like the egg song, which does the opposite - raise as much ruckus as possible so that everybody in the neighborhood hears that danger has been spotted. So the trilling alarm call is the "lay low and hide" alarm call, and the other one is the "warn everybody far and wide" alarm call. They each have their function. You can easily test the trilling one, it's actually kinda fun to watch and convenient if you ever needed them to shut up :lol: Wait until they are very talkative and busy and making lots of noises, then make the sound yourself, loudly - "KRRRRRR!" (helps if you can roll your R's!) and you'll see them all freeze in place, dead quiet, necks craning up. It's the chicken STFU button :D
The "KRRRRRRR" almost sounds like a velociraptor when my rooster does it.

But I have hens who alert/respond to perceived dangers. My Cochin growls.

But, yes, Sweet Pea was probably warning the flock to beware of those scary, scary neighbors. Good girl!

The "KRRRRRRR" almost sounds like a velociraptor when my rooster does it.

But I have hens who alert/respond to perceived dangers. My Cochin growls.

But, yes, Sweet Pea was probably warning the flock to beware of those scary, scary neighbors. Good girl!
Yes, definitely - both hens and roosters make both alarm calls, it’s not just a rooster thing.

Yep, something got her attention and was telling the others to be cautious. I've had my dominant hen do this and the others will freeze in place.

I was listening to YouTube for the alarm call and I have never heard that loud shrill call before. I’ve only heard the “I’m laying an egg get away from me!!” Or the bock bock
BA-COCK when they have to lay an egg but that’s it.

Most of the time she’ll do this and they will go silent and then run and hide. This time the other 8 didn’t hear her because we were on the other side of the yard.

P.S. I don’t think it’s related to dominance, but level of skittishness and scaredy-ness 😄 I don’t have a rooster, and the hen that makes alarm calls the most often (both kinds) is actually the lowest ranking one, who’s also the easiest to scare and the most suspicious of them all. She’ll see danger where there isn’t one and alert just in case.

Back
Top Bottom