Alarm Clock Automatic Coop Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cromulo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cromulo

cromulo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Vienna, Va
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

So what keeps a raccoon from just pulling that door open?

3. Scumbag

Scumbag New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:We don't get raccoons in Australia. But you're right, this design may not be appropriate elsewhere.

I'm still in the process of modifying the design, adding a (light) spring to provide resistance when the door is opening, and to help when closing the door. That said I don't know how crafty your raccoons are and whether spring loading the door would be sufficient.

Thanks for your feedback.

4. jjpiper

jjpiper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Why not go vertical instead of horizontal? That way you can use gravity to close the door.

5. TheMatador

TheMatador Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Upstate, NY
    Quote:We don't get raccoons in Australia. But you're right, this design may not be appropriate elsewhere.

I'm still in the process of modifying the design, adding a (light) spring to provide resistance when the door is opening, and to help when closing the door. That said I don't know how crafty your raccoons are and whether spring loading the door would be sufficient.

Thanks for your feedback.

Raccoons are smarter than many people I've met. They also have opposable thumbs, considerable strength, will work in teams and have ALL NIGHT to figure out how to get into that coop.

6. Scumbag

Scumbag New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:I agree - but it's not really suitable with the small chicken coop that we bought. (It would block a window above the door.)
    I guess I could create a new door opening on the back - it just depends on how much work you want to do for your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by